Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Deer Survey-# of Bucks

Default SCDNR Deer Survey-# of Bucks

Just got an email from SCDNR asking to take a survey. The survey concerns Buck limits and buying tags. I encourage everyone to take it no matter what your opinion is.

Here is the website to the survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M952GTW

Or you can go to DNR's website, follow the links and take it.

Just so ya know my opinion is we have a 2 buck limit with at least 4pts on one side.

i dont mind the buck limit or the antler restrictions but it scares me to have both.

what about a kid and his first buck? i think he should be able to shoot anything.

what if the limit was 3 bucks and then a stud walked out? i dont know. it just seems to me there are too many laws already. I agree there should be some restrictions but its hard to fathom both buck limits and antler resitrictions.

i voted a 3 buck limit and no restrictions.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

GA has a 2 buck limit and one of those bucks has to have 4pts on one side. IMO that's probably what they will go with.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i dont mind the buck limit or the antler restrictions but it scares me to have both.

what about a kid and his first buck? i think he should be able to shoot anything.

what if the limit was 3 bucks and then a stud walked out? i dont know. it just seems to me there are too many laws already. I agree there should be some restrictions but its hard to fathom both buck limits and antler resitrictions.

i voted a 3 buck limit and no restrictions.
    That would be the benefit of a limit. you really think before you shoot, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I like to hunt deer. I like to eat deer. I realize we have OVERSHOT the does...thanks to the rules set by the DNR. Now, its backtracking. Coyotes have done their part. Sure....but the DNR will say the fox hunters had a hand in that and wont admit they released them, too. So now I have to BUY more tags and limit the number of BUCKS I shoot? Doesnt seem right to me...and I moderate the deer forum so i must know all things whitetail.

I havent shot TWO bucks in years...but I would hate to pass on a deer I grew because I had already filled my tags.

I like the GA law that allows one buck of any size and the other has to be 4pts to a side. Enforcement will still be a real bitch....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

none of it would make a hill of beans if they don't enforce it. My questions are...
    1. What are you trying to accomplish by this new regulation.
    2. What are you basing your suggestions on? (scientific evidence, game management practices, wildlife biologist recommendations?
    3. of the zones listed throughout the state, they are very diverse and different. Significantly different densities regarding deer populations. Are we going to treat all as if they were the same?
    4. Who is going to enforce these new regulations? The current rabbit sherrifs don't have the budget to enforce poaching and trespassing.

for now. I will think of more questions.
    Last edited by jwilliams; 09-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.

I responded..... 4 bucks a season is enough.

I know a couple of clubs that manage their property and deer much better from what I have seen the state do with their (WMA) property. I suggest they start with their own property first, then tell private land owners how to manager theirs.

I don't support antler restrictions or having to buy buck tags.

OUTLAW BAITING.......

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    OUTLAW BAITING.......
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

outlaw using any weapons other than rocks and a home made slingshot for gatorhunting.

I don't mind a 2 buck limit or antler restrictions but even if they pass it the state has no way to enforce it.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    outlaw using any weapons other than rocks and a home made slingshot for gatorhunting.
    outlaw gator hunting all together... I dont give a shit if i ever kill another one.... Ive had my thrill with that....

Outlawing baiting would do more than anything else for this state... We have "big" deer, but they dont have to move.... They sit until dark, then go to the nearest corn pile and chow down...

How many pics do we see with a huge buck on a corn pile at 3am?

Not being able to dump a bag of corn out would keep alot of rubberheads out of the woods... Most dont have the desire to actually "hunt" deer. But if all they have to do is throw out a bag of corn and wait for the first cow horn to walk out, shoot it, call it a management buck, take pics, get recognition from all his friends that he is a "deer hunter"....well then they are gonna do it....

Also, you wouldnt have trucks in and out of the woods every day puttin out corn..... Deer know when its deer season, just by the amount of traffic in the woods....

Look at how many deer you see in fields two hours before dark in june and july

this would damn sure keep the yankees in flordia...... And keep the lease prices down...

Outlaw baiting, give out 2 free doe tags a year, (more available for purchase after that).... That would be a good start.

Fuck that shit...

I voted for five bucks, no antler restrictions. I figure with five tags, most folks will only shoot four or less so they can hold onto one last tag for that once in a lifetime buck at the end of the season.

It seems odd that we have does tags and restricted doe days but buck harvest is unlimited.

DDS,
    They don't allow baiting in the upstate and it isn't the Utopia that you describe.

Many private clubs do more for "managing their herd" than the state does for "theirs" on WMA's. That would be the place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    DDS,
    They don't allow baiting in the upstate and it isn't the Utopia that you describe.

not as many deer as we have here either...

thats the problem tho.... people in south carolina just associate deer hunting with corn piles... they dont think you can kill them without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I voted for five bucks, no antler restrictions. I figure with five tags, most folks will only shoot four or less so they can hold onto one last tag for that once in a lifetime buck at the end of the season.

It seems odd that we have does tags and restricted doe days but buck harvest is unlimited.

In the upstate the limit is already 5 bucks/year. Also,IMO the DNR should make everyday a doe day and sell as many tags as you want to buy up to a certain extent.