Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bowhunting is not easy

[quote=HERRINGBONE;669930]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post

Nothing like couch Booty for sure.......till it hits the floor......then you taking care of business........
    That one made me laugh out loud.....rug burn and all!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

You can mark me with Sprig cause I have no idea who Cuz Strickland is either. Is he a Hunting God? Even though I don't know who he is I'm betting he's one of those TV/video hunting personalities. It's amazing how those guys know so much more than us. I've hunted hard for more years than most of those guys have been on Earth. So how did they get so knowledgeable and I'm so dumb? It must hurt my feeling cause I never watch that crap.

That said, I have a friend who has killed a good many awesome bucks here in SC. He says there's no such thing as a truly nocturnal buck, they all want some sunlight from time to time, it does a body good. I tend to believe him when I look at his wall and his scrap book of photos.

But he doesn't hunt like most of us. He scouts an area hard, when he finds sign of a good buck using an area he develops his game plan. It's a simple plan, he crawls in the thickest crap he can find on that deer's range. What we think of as bedding areas. In some cases areas we wouldn't think a rabbit could get into, much less a big buck.

Places like thick cane brakes, privet thickets or deep into kudzu "castles". Once he crawls in, he stays there, sometimes from pre-light till after dark. His weapon of choice is a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag. He seldom has shot a buck over 15 yards away, usually he can't see that far. Most of his kills are at 5 to 10 yards.

He goes into those thick places and buries himself just off one of the deer's trails. He told me it was amazing how relaxed and unwary the deer are once they get into that stuff. They feel safe there and don't expect any danger from inside their 'safe haven'.

He was in SF for two tours in 'Nam, I asked him if that helped any with the way he hunts. He said about the only thing he feels it contributed was his ability to sit still and stay alert for hours at a time. He said he never wears a watch, he doesn't want to know and doesn't care what time it is. Time is not on his mind at all.

Personally I couldn't hunt that way. I like to be able to see, the further the better. I also don't consistently kill quality deer like he does.

The way he hunts, in past times, would be meat hunting. It's the way the Ndns like the Cherokee and other Southeastern tribes hunted mostly...up close and personal. But it requires woodsmanship skills, confidence, optimism and patience, tons of patience, that most of us don't have.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 09-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

i am sitting this stand tonight.

I bet I whack a doe and look up to see the big ten point running off.

who cares? that doe needs to be in my freezer.

that is all.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 09-15-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

As a mod you are doing a piss poor job of killing shit. Maybe we need to go ahead vote mod elect SW to a post.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

go ahead and let SW have this whole damn thing.

saw 2 bucks at 0:dark:30. had them come in dead down wind. super-duper secret cover scent did its job. one was a 10"brow-tined 7 pt i have seen before. other was a spike. both were "in range" but sure as hell couldnt see well enough to shoot. had to sit up there for an extra lil bit. finally decided to get down. heard one of the deer coming at me so I put the flashlight on him. he didnt know what was up so he got to eating some privet and then rubbed the tree like he was mad at it.

i suck at deer hunting. thinking about bream fishing friday morning, instead. Who moderates the Farm Pond Fishing Forum?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'm almost ready to nominate Rebel Yell... He kills shit and posts pics