Thread: snares, bumpers, and a few other things

Default snares, bumpers, and a few other things

I was reading the SCDNR Alligator Hunting Guide and it mentioned that you should have a snare that it taped to a poll for grabbing the gator and securing it once it is at the boat. Do I really need this? If so, can someone describe for me what type of snare apparatus I need? Something that I buy or make myself?

As a side note, with regard to the gator line attached to my arrow, can I just use a small boat bumper as a float at the end of my line?

Finally, and last question, does anyone know of a processor for the Walterboro area?

Thanks, CC
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by carolina counsel View Post
    i was reading the scdnr alligator hunting guide and it mentioned that you should have a snare that it taped to a poll for grabbing the gator and securing it once it is at the boat. Do i really need this? If so, can someone describe for me what type of snare apparatus i need? Something that i buy or make myself?

As a side note, with regard to the gator line attached to my arrow, can i just use a small boat bumper as a float at the end of my line?

Finally, and last question, does anyone know of a processor for the walterboro area?

Thanks, cc
    depends on how deep of water you are gonna be in with the bumper... A gator can pull under most boat bumpers.... If water is shallow this isnt that big of deal... If water is deep make sure to have a huge float with a lot more line than you think you need.

dont listen to DDS,...he aint got the 1st clue about no gator kilin. you nee to hire yourself one of them high dollar gator guides and find a high fence swamp operation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Just remember, just cuz the water is 10 feet deep, and you got 30" of line... That dont mean you are good to go... That sucker start to rollin in that line and he will roll that 30' up to the bumper and dive under with it, never to be seen again......

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Just remember, just cuz the water is 10 feet deep, and you got 30" of line... That dont mean you are good to go... That sucker start to rollin in that line and he will roll that 30' up to the bumper and dive under with it, never to be seen again......
    Yep.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I used a 100' on both my rigs. I didn't ever want to let the float go, because I if it hit he water I was worried I would never see it again. THere is so much that "could" happen if the float is in the water. Just think it is better to do your best to hang on to the line.
    Phillipians 4:13

follow us scumpter boys, we'll show ya how its done. ask Dukhuntr
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    follow us scumpter boys, we'll show ya how its done. ask Dukhuntr

NO COMMENT!

Phone has killed his share of gators though!

If you're worried about a bumper going under, just get a 55 gallon plastic drum, and attach it to the end of the line, he'll wear himself out tugging on that thing!

If that gator's been under for a bit and then starts to roll, he's checking out - so yeah, that extra line comes in handy, and if you've got enough, you're REALLY close to closing the deal.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Most important piece of non gator gear you need is bug spray especially in the Pee Dee Region. I have seen people do all sorts of dances at the boating landing trying to launch and retrieve boats with skeeters eating their asses alive.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

just made 2 of these.....5 pieces each and 10mins....two are 4' for throwing and i have a 10' for getting over him and 'poonin him on the bottom

pipe or wood dowel
    cap with hole drilled through it
    stainless 5/16" bolt
    stainless lock nut
    tip

somebody's been crawfishing!!!!

I would shorten the bolt about another inch depending on hardness of bolt.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

step ahead.....just aint got the latest pic....change that 10 mins to 11

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Tom View Post
    somebody's been crawfishing!!!!
    DOubt it, they still got the zip ties on them holding the info to the basket!

aint no zip ties on them baskets....those you see on the left and right of the deck are bait cages i put in the traps.....one end zip tied closed and the other end just get folded closed.....there some rope in that basket on the right