Thread: Size line

Default Size line

What size bowfishing line do you use for gators. I have been looking at several sizes.

Next question:
    After you follow him around with jugs or a float, do you try to pull him in by hand with the line, or do you drop a treble hook down and snag him? I have the ams bowfishing real on my bowfishing bow, but was thinking of just putting a round wheel on my hunting bow (hoyt) to make sure the arrow goes deep in his skin.

Brett

I used 600 lb or so "gator" line but I tied off to rope and then to a LARGE mooring bouy (empty propane tank will work). I also used a 30 year old "shoot through" reel rather than spend the money for a pro setup, worked like a champ. I let the gator line run and held onto the rope while he towed my boat around to tire him. I was worried the gator would roll and drag my bouy under. If you got a small boat DON'T TIE YOUR ROPE OFF TO A CLEAT on your boat or risk hanging your line on a cleat, things could get ugly quick swimming with a pissed off gator.

My son hand lined mine until I stuck another arrow with a line in. Whoever pulls your gator up needs to drop the line in a bucket so if / when he makes a run so there isn't a chance of a foot getting caught in the line.

Good luck!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill