Thread: Gator Harpoon Tips

Default Gator Harpoon Tips

I'm starting to get everything rigged for the upcoming season and I was wondering how you lizard slayers rigger your harpoons?

I want to rig 2 12-15 ft 1.25 inch dowel rods as harpoons. Any tips?

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I used alligator bowfishing heads on a short piece of fiberglass arrow I cut and inserted into a long bamboo stick....pretty sexy, Ill try to get you some pics up in a couple days.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Cool thanks! I'm interested to see everybody's gator getters!
    Last edited by SCcdp; 08-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

how heavy are the harpoons y'all using?....got one that's about 30lb....good for getting the tip in, but cumbersome.....thinking about making another that is light enough to throw

The dowel's I'm intending to use ain't near 30 lbs but I imagine you could really punch that into a gator!

12-15ft? 30lbs? DAMN! Go to Lowe's, buy an 1 1/4 diameter 8ft. wooden curtain rod. That's all you need for throwing or jabbing. If you want something heavier, say for example if you have a line in him already, and want another, but you can't get him off the bottom, then get a piece of galvanized pipe, 1 1/4-1 1/2 diameter. Get your first line straight up and down, over him, and then drop the pipe harpoon straight down on him. It'll be heavy enough to drive itself in. As far as your driver, take a piece of galvanized pipe, cut off the threaded end so you have about a 3 inch piece of pipe. Buy a cap to thread onto it, and a bolt 3/8 diameter, and about 3-4 inches long, Buy a bolt where it's smooth for a couple inches and then the thread. Drill a hole in the center of the cap that the bolt will fit through. Cut off the head of the bolt, and taper it down to accept the dart. Run a nut all the way up to the top of the threads, and cut off some of the threads, so that when the bolt goes through the cap, there is enough to put a nut on in the inside, and tighten down. Once you got it together, practice throwing it! If you practice, you'll be able to throw it about 10 yards, and be effective.

Here are some from the first run.

Get you some innnerlock gator tips, take them to a machine shop, have the machine shop mill down a stick of stainless and bolt them inside of the dowels bear mentioned.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

With the stainless plunger, the galvenized nipple is unnecessary.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB, I like it, all three of them.

Nice rigs, the Glenlivet is Key.
    This economy SUCKS!!!!!!!

HS, my college buddy, the one who introduced me to scotch drankin, came over to help me work on em. We were feelin no pain when we were done.

BTW, those harpoons are typically one shot sallies. When you stick him, and he rolls, expect your dowels to break or bend to the point of uselessness.

I would like to engineer mine for this year to be out of fiberglass...thinking shrimp poles.

Either way, if you get the 'poon in one, the point is not coming out.

They're is a fella in Greenwood that I bought my shrimp poles from that could probably make you just such a pole. He was kind enough to walk me around the facility and show me how everything came together when I bought my poles.

Thanks for the pics too that gives me some ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    12-15ft? 30lbs? If you want something heavier, say for example if you have a line in him already, and want another, but you can't get him off the bottom, then get a piece of galvanized pipe, 1 1/4-1 1/2 diameter. Get your first line straight up and down, over him, and then drop the pipe harpoon straight down on him. It'll be heavy enough to drive itself in.
    exactly the purpose of this heavy one....get the hook on him and if'n he wants to set on the bottom, it'll have enough energy to drive in even on his back.....still need to make another that i can throw at a soft spot

The above is why I used the galvanized pipe headers on the wooden dowels...heavy enough to sink solid, and light enough to throw...provided you have the shoulders for it.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 08-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    ...provided you have the shoulders for it.
    Yepp. Practice without the dowel bolted in to make sure you can heave it accurately.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?