Thread: manipulating natives

Default manipulating natives

So a good buddy of mine has about 150 acres with plenty of prime dove habitat in place(minus planted fields). We are planning to actually plant some food next year, but this year being as we are both broke(he just got married a few months ago, and I WAS working a crappy job) we couldn't plant anything this year.

There is a ton of croton and other native seed producing grasses out there, so we thought that we would just mow and till strips to put some seed on the ground and give them some nice powdery dirt to play in. He's got powerlines and ponds on his place too. The main reason for this post was to see if anyone else has ever manipulated natives for doves, and if so do you have any tips for me other than what I plan on doing?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

One of our best field this year will be a 2 year old cutover.
    Loaded more than last year with poke, panicum, and foxtail....loaded with birds too!
    I will be as good as it gets come early season!
    No manipulation required though as there is a lot of bare sand....did braodcast some browntop on some of the bare dirt a while back though.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

That clear-cut shot pretty good last year!

so bush-hogging and tilling should be all I need to do, huh?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

You may not need to do anything!
    Yes.....anything to produce clean ground if you don't already have it.
    Don't forget the possibility of burning.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

tradorion Coots

Twere it me- I'd run a bush hog in single swath through it and see if that got any attention.... then i'd follow that discing the cut swaths and then cutting the edges of the disc'd area to scatter seed on clean dirt.

As Bogue said definitely do not rule out droppin a match to get god results.

WAYYYYYYY too dry to burn right now. I think that we're going to start a few smaller patches next weekend with cutting and tilling(not just disking, I'm going after some good SOFT dirt) and go from there.

use the liquid cmere deer.
    whatever you spray it on becomes "the food source"

you just have to chant "cmere DOVES" 3 times while standing on 1 foot for the magic to be transferred to a different species.

So the ammonia wasn't hard enough for ya, you in to the meth now?

'Preciate the pro-tip SW...I knew you would come in handy at some point and time.

i woulda been along sooner but i thought this was a thread about giving indians blankets infected with smallpox.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    i woulda been along sooner but i thought this was a thread about giving indians blankets infected with smallpox.
    THAT is hilarious!!!
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Sportin is the Man.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies

dip came a flynnn
    Plant it they will come.

hahahaaha you might have just got my vote for moderator with that one SW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

if you vote for me, all your wildest dreams will come true.

I'll vote for you...if you grow a real mustache.