Thread: Fishing the Tuck

Default Fishing the Tuck

I am going to be in the mountains for a week and am looking to do a little fishing "otf" while i'm up there. i've been searching the forum for some advice on fishing the tuckasegee, but am having trouble finding anything relevant. since this will be my first time fishing this area, i'm not expecting too much but it would be nice to catch a fish or two while i'm there.

are there any particular rules i should look out for while fishing this river that deal with delayed harvest, etc? also, i'm sure a flyshop could tell me up there, but what type of fly do y'all recommend to fish with up there? i'm going to be in the wittier area, so any and all info related to that area is appreciated. i'm not trying to get in anybody's secret hole but rather am looking for some generalities on fishing WNC. 'preesh in advance.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

check your box zig.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

back at ya bogster.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."

The dillsboro damn was demolished this past spring and the river is flowing pretty smooth. The Tuck is one of NC's best DH waters available. Go through Cullohwee on 107, through catamount gap. Turn left at the old ise cream shop where the river flows under 107. The DH waters start here and goes to dillsboro. The river is deep and strong, call for the generation schedule. The weekends are the best as they try to control the flow. The college kids will be all over the place. Start below the island, be very careful, a wading stick is a good idea because the water can rise in seconds. Flies of choice in that area vary from dry to nymphs. For a good combo, run a 12 -14 thunderhead or royal wolf as a indicator fly, tie off a 18" to 24" leader of the back of the hook and insert your favorite nymph. Hares ears 16-18, or green copper johns 16-18. Cast over those deep pools and be persistent. We have caught 24" fish out of there, and there are gobs of 12-18" browns, brooks, and bows.

Just like any other summertime fishing, you need to be there when the sun comes up till about 9am, and then again at say 6pm, till dark. Pay attention to the bugs coming off, when they start coming off you should see a good aerial show of trout leaving the water to eat the bugs.

The stream can get crowded so be pateint, and mindful of the other fisherman.

Enjoy yourself and let me know if you need anything else.

Don't be scared to go straight nymph and use a 6-7 foot leader underneath that don king....

thanks for the advice dook. i fished around the area this past week and did all right in some of the backcountry creeks. i couldn't believe how close i was for my whole life and have only been up there once or twice. unfortunately the 3rd day my rod splintered and i was a little disadvantaged for the rest of the week. i will definitely be hitting it up the area again.

There's also a lot of people that fell out of the L.L. Bean catalog. Keep an eye out.
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.