Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1700 feet per sec.

Default 1700 feet per sec.

Yall might think I am crazy, but i need to know do they make a 1700 feet per sec. dove load? And if not what is the fastest one they make? The reason being is that I like to shoot skeet with the same feet per sec.as i do ducks. To try to keep my timming down. Thinking about trying the new hypersonic shells by remington.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

The fastest shells that I know of are 1300 fps and you can get Remington or Winchester. 1 1/4 ounce load of shot in 7.5 or 8. Any faster than that and you have to load them yourself. About 7.50 per box at Wally World.

You shoot a 1700 fps skeet load? Most people I know shoot one that you can almost see the cloud of shot out the barrel.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I don't think you're crazy. You just don't know anything about shotgun shells. But then, neither do any of the "high brass" shooters that like to shoot 1 1/4 ounce #6s at doves.

To each his own...

The fastest lead sporting load I've ever seen was 1,375 fps and it was a Kemen Extra 7/8 ounce load. There's nothing comparable in lead to that 1,700 fps steel load you're talking about.

And don't get any bright ideas about trying to reload something like that with lead shot. You WILL hurt yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    And don't get any bright ideas about trying to reload something like that with lead shot. You WILL hurt yourself.

But if you do will you please film it and leave a note for a relative to log in and post it here?
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-29-2010 at 07:44 AM.

These are the fastest I've shot, the FITASC load at 1380. They are also my dove load.

http://www.claycartridge.com/products.asp?Cat=3

That Cantey special sounds like a bruiser. Let me know what it looks like after 4 boxes.

That Cantey special sounds like a bruiser. Let me know what it looks like after 4 boxes.
    My shoulder or shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    These are the fastest I've shot, the FITASC load at 1380. They are also my dove load.

http://www.claycartridge.com/products.asp?Cat=3
    Those look like some serious shells! I bet you can kill more birds with the high brass ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

I was referring to your shoulder. But the reality is, Joe gets his shells from that same company that makes Kemen and Rio. Rio makes a fitasc load that is almost identical to the CCC and the felt recoil from both is probably 18lbs. I have on numerous occasions shot 200 or more of the CCC's and the Rio's in a single day on the parcour. However, I prefer the Kemen Suprema at 1,350 fps. It's a better shell all around.

A one ounce load at 1,200 fps is just as effective at 35 yards as 1 1/4 ounces at 1,400 fps. The faster the load leaves the muzzle, the faster it slows. At 30 yards, both shot strings are occupying the same position and the site picture would be the same for both rounds.

Oh, and in the off chance that you do not already know, the brass has nothing to do with the recipe inside the shell or the performance.

Oh, and in the off chance that you do not already know, the brass has nothing to do with the recipe inside the shell or the performance.
    I was just trying to get a rise out of you. I've not shot an off the shelf lead shot load in over 7 years.

When I'm serious about skeet, I shoot 7/8 oz of #9 at 1190 FPS. I like Remington hulls, Winchester primers and wads (the superlites - I think the pink ones), and Hodgdon Clays. I'm a skinny guy and hate recoil, and I don't need to prove my manhood. I've shot as many as 15 rounds of skeet in a day shooting those without feeling any negative effects from recoil. When I switched to such a lite load, I was able to practice more, and as a result went from breaking 20 per round to averaging 23-24 per round.

For doves, I like the 1 oz of #6 shot (stay away from me in the field, Carla Dee!) or 7 1/2 shot at 1200 fps (same components except the WAA12L wad).
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

I was referring to your shoulder. But the reality is, Joe gets his shells from that same company that makes Kemen and Rio. Rio makes a fitasc load that is almost identical to the CCC and the felt recoil from both is probably 18lbs. I have on numerous occasions shot 200 or more of the CCC's and the Rio's in a single day on the parcour. However, I prefer the Kemen Suprema at 1,350 fps. It's a better shell all around.

A one ounce load at 1,200 fps is just as effective at 35 yards as 1 1/4 ounces at 1,400 fps. The faster the load leaves the muzzle, the faster it slows. At 30 yards, both shot strings are occupying the same position and the site picture would be the same for both rounds.

While I agree that both will kill equally well at 35 yds.

This is absolutely not true. Physics dictate that acceleration decreases at +/- 9.81m/s^2 on any item moving on the face of the planet. It is simply a vector calculus equation there after.

The only variables with shot are wind, angle, and distance. The launch speed, angle and value of gravity determines any point along the path of a trajectory. It is simply a matter of wind and reactant forces. So if you have two items of the same mass, with the same gravitational forces, and same reactant force, the only variable is velocity. An item moving initially 200 fps faster will not be in the same place at 30 yds as one moving slower.

See Randy Johnson vs. Bird

Bird would be safe if it had been Jaime Moyer pitch vs bird.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...traj.html#tra3

Edit: Technically the resultant force at over 200fps is greater so it will slow down at a tad quicker rate. Like the sixth decimal point, but they will not ever be at the same point at the same time. Obviously unless they hit something.
    Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 07-29-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Sleepy, Thanks - I was thinking the same, but didn't feel like typing it all up.

In Fish's defense, his scenario may be possible if the faster load is steel and the slower one lead as is applicable to duck hunting loads (old lead vs new steel). Force = Mass X Acceleration, but Momentum = Mass x Velocity. Therefore, since steel shot has a lower mass, it has a lower momentum and would be more susceptable to the effects of gravity, air friction, wind, etc.
    Last edited by Wad Shooter; 07-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.

lil 2 sleepy, may I submit that the one thing your equation does not factor in is the stringing effect of shot leaving the barrel?

Good. Because I just did.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

A drafting pack at 1400 will outrun a drafting pack at 1200 everytime. See wind reactants...

I never said that the spread would be effected, I said the distance vs speed would be.
    Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 07-29-2010 at 12:57 PM.

wow. thats a whole lot of math for a freakin dove.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    A drafting pack at 1400 will outrun a drafting pack at 1200 everytime. See wind reactants...

I never said that the spread would be effected, I said the distance vs speed would be.
    But what about them horses trying to get outta the same size stable all at once? Small herd vs. big herd.

My head's hurtin too, Sprig.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

If they are the same place at 35yds, why are there so many different varieties? It aint all marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    wow. thats a whole lot of math for a freakin dove.

I'm an Engineer. It is either this or design something I don't like talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    But what about them horses trying to get outta the same size stable all at once? Small herd vs. big herd.

My head's hurtin too, Sprig.

Smaller Jockeys with large whips