Thread: Clear water and small fish

Default Clear water and small fish

Finally did some fishing in something other than a pond. I never thought I would say this, but fly fishing MIGHT be as great as duck hunting. I've never had as much fun catching fish as I did this weekend. Visited the folks in Bandera, and the Medina river flows down that way. The water is as crystal clear as you can get. It's absolutely beautiful.

Here's a few pictures from the trip.

Sunday's pictures.

Guadalupe bass.

Redbreast? That's what it looks like to me, but the redbreast that I'm used to seeing are colored a little bit different(and darker b/c of the black water they come out of).

Green sunfish I think...

Productive little hole.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 07-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I hit a different spot on Monday morning before we left and the wife went along. Didn't get many pictures, but here they are.

Getting it done.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

All in all, I probably caught about 2 dozen fish, and I only fished for around 2 hours in each spot. I've now officially caught the fly bug, and I don't see it getting any better. I need to get a small 2 or 3wt set-up and a 9-ish wt set-up for the bass fish.

fly fishing MIGHT be as great as duck hunting
    The damnation of it is, it is almost as expensive.

I fish an 8 for bass. I can throw most any bass fly I need to with it.

Good stuff main. It is cooling off a bit down this way and I am feeling a trip to the river.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

you forgot to take your pictures holding the fish with the rod in your teeth so everybody knows you were fly fishing.....

all joking aside, fly fishing is as relaxing as it comes for me. great pictures and good success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    The damnation of it is, it is almost as expensive.

I fish an 8 for bass. I can throw most any bass fly I need to with it.

Good stuff main. It is cooling off a bit down this way and I am feeling a trip to the river.
    True story right there...I'm finding that out quick like.

It's not even CLOSE to cooling down in this hell-hole. We were up in the Hill Country, and I don't think it broke 90 the whole time we were there. It was mighty nice. I'm pretty sure that College Station is the hottest place I've ever been, and the windiest(and during the winter, seems to be the rain-iest).

Hill country eh?

I have always wanted to go to Luchenbach and catch some shows...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm secretly praying for San Antonio for my next assignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Haven't been to Luchenbach yet. There are TONS of places to catch shows in Tejas. Austin is supposed to be the Live Music capital of the world(but it MIGHT be the liberal capital of the US this side of California). San Antonio is nice in some parts and rough in others. The River Walk is pretty awesome. The Hill Country is a pretty wonderful part of the world. Pretty scenery, lots and lots of deer, beautiful rivers, and lots of people who move there from the city so they can play cowboy.

Your fish is a long-eared sunfish.
    South Texas rivers are on my list.

Check out warmfly.com.
    Its full of flyfishing knowledge and there are some good guys from South Texas.
    Rc always has wonderful stories and pictorials.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Damn man! Ive fished that same spot before! i think...

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Damn man! Ive fished that same spot before! i think...
    Was is in Texas?

Yep, In Bandera, not to far from San Antonio I believe.

It's a possibility then. Both spots are on the Medina. The first set of pictures are a lot closer to Bandera than the second set. Those are from outside of the town of Medina.

It sho is addictive, i bought my first fly rod back in 06 in wallmart for $10.(same rod set up is 20/25 now) But i caught the biggest brimps i had ever caught that day, ive never looked back. It aint duck hunting, but it will get you through the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.