Thread: The Coolest - Sylvilagus aquaticus

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default The Coolest - Sylvilagus aquaticus

Cane Cutters are the coolest of all rabbits in my opinion. We used to rabbit hunt a lot when I was younger, dad had some jam up dogs. I've seen cane cutters do some crazy stuff.

We were hunting one morning near a massive natural swamp off Hard Labor Creek. The dogs were pushing a bunny hard, then they petered out except for the occasional yelp by one of the trailers, and they weren't moving. The yelps were all coming from the same spot. When we got to the dogs they were all milling around a long logging truck rut that was holding water. It had been there for several years, it was one of those old deep truck ruts in the mud in wet soil that bullrush had grown up around. The dogs kept going around and around the rut. My dad had been hunting rabbits all his life and he had come across cane cutters before. He said, "probably a cane cutter look for his nose". I was like, "Huh?". Sure enough after a minute dad pointed to a quivering spot on the water under the edge of some over-hanging bull rush. The water was all muddied up from being stirred up by the rabbit and the dogs but when you looked close you could see just the end of it's nose sticking out of the water. I kicked it out with the toe of my boot and dad busted it when it got about 20 yds down the road well ahead of the dogs who hadn't yet figured out what was happening.

They're big rabbits too, lots bigger than cottontails and their back feet are webbed.

Another encounter:
    I was wading out of a beaver swamp one morning after whacking some woodies. Water was about crotch deep where I was wading, ahead of me the end of a big log was sticking up out of the water with a big bunch grass and bullrush growing on it. When I got close to it, maybe 10' away, a cane cutter busted out of the grass and lit our across the water like a skier. It literally ran in an arc across the water for about 25 yards and hit the bank on the other side disappearing into the woods. That thing was moving so fast I expected to see a rooster tail when it was making it's turn. Amazing. It happened so quick I didn't have time to get my gun off my shoulder.

Swamp Rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus) aka Black Rabbit, Cane Cutter:

The Swamp Rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus) is a large cottontail rabbit found in the swamps and wetlands of the Southern United States.

Appearance:
    S. aquaticus is similar in appearance to other cottontails, although it is among the largest members of the genus. It is generally brown, with the bottom of its stubby tail colored white. Adult male and female specimens of this species weigh between three and six pounds (1.5 - 2.7 kg). In lagomorphs, the female is commonly larger than the male.

When fleeing a predator, the swamp rabbit can run over 45 miles per hour, usually in an evasive zig-zag pattern.

S. aquaticus is a skilled swimmer, often crossing streams, ponds and rivers. The semi-aquatic rabbit will occasionally hide from natural enemies by sitting still in shallow water, exposing only its nose to the air to breathe.

This rabbit leaves a characteristic "calling card" of pellet-like droppings atop moss-covered fallen logs throughout its territory.

Description:
    The largest cottontail. Short, coarse fur; brownish gray mottled with black above, whitish below. Thin tail white below. Feet rust-colored. L 17 3/4–22"; T 2 5/8–2 3/4"; HF 4 1/4"; E 2 3/8 –3 1/8"; Wt 3 1/2–6 lb.

Breeding:
    2 litters per year of 1–6 young (most often 3); timing varies with latitude. Gestation about 38 days.

Habitat:
    Bottomlands, swamps, and canebrakes; needs high ground during flooding.

Discussion:
    All rabbits will take to water when pursued, but this excellent swimmer will swim simply to get about. To elude predators, it may remain submerged except for its nose. It feeds on green and young woody plants, both terrestrial and aquatic, including cane (Arundinaria; a favorite), sedges, grasses, tree seedlings, and greenbrier, as well as corn and other field crops. It rests in a form under thick brush and will hide in hollow logs or in the burrows of other animals. The young are born in a shallow, fur-lined form. Unlike other cottontails, which are born after only a month’s gestation naked and with eyes closed, Swamp Rabbits are born after a gestation of almost six weeks. Their bodies are furred, and their eyes open almost immediately.

More---> Swamp Rabbit

Above is a good example of a Northeast Arkansas
    Swamp Rabbit. There are more here just like this
    ole big one waiting on you to come harvest. Come
    hunt with us. Give us a call for hunting info.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

That's neat stuff! Good post, Merg. Thanks!