Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackwater creeks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default blackwater creeks

I have never caught wild brook trout on blue line creeks at high elevations.
    Being raised down in the flatland at the headwaters of creeks that form the Edisto, I had no idea that the folks that fished for 8 inch brookies and I had something in common.
    I guess a love for small water and simple fish would strike conversation if we were to meet.
    I took some time to wander poplar creek today.
    There are no crappie in this portion of the creek and the state park doesn't border its banks here. A few miles up from lake marion, poplar creek is a small lowland waterway that meanders through an old cypress branch.
    This little creek is special.
    It hosts abundant wildlife and is the epitome of small South Carolina blackwater.
    Many things have changed since I'd last wandered here, and fallen trees tested my ability with a 3wt.
    There was no shortage of hungry fish, I did not attempt to count them.
    It was quiet, with only the sound of pileated woodpeckers hammering bald cypress and hen woodies corralling their young.

if only i had a decent camera.

Its easy to get lost in time flipping bugs to redbreasts.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

my friend...this is why we get along.

Me and a buddy hit the blackwater north of me on monday... the little fish never cease to amaze and ground me.
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...

magazine worthy pic

It has defiantly been a while since we last went exploring back there. Good times my friend, good times.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

might have to go float the lynches one day soon, kinda high right now, not blackwater, kinda red
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Bog, I grew up in the upstate fishing for said 8" trout and believing that a 12"rainbow taken on the fly was a true trophy.

Now I've moved to your neck of the woods and am using my mountain stream tactics in the Four Hole Swamp and environs. Good times for sure.

I'll trade you a handful of flies for a shot at some of those 2 lb shellcrackers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Red, I would love some flies.

I'll be glad to have you over sometime soon.
    I use cane poles and jig for the big shellcracker when they are spawning, however I do catch a few when throwing bugs for bluegill.

You live near your inlaws?
    If so, its only about 15 minutes to the big pond.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Bog, I sent you a PM.
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

got it.

the fly i need is the one in the link you sent.

thanks man.

Bog, the camera you have is doing just fine my friend. Good stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Bog, this looks pretty close to me.
    BTW, I fried up some bream cakes and hushpuppies a couple weeks ago. Never got around to posting the pic:

Thats the one.

That thing is straight dangerous under a popping bug.

Those cakes look pretty good.

Meat from 4 cooked medium bream, 1/3 onion-chopped, 2 ribs celery-chopped, Tony Cachere, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 egg, and breadcrumbs from toasted John Derst's bread.

Sweet Margaret they were good.

Its THE way to eat bream.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
    Meat from 4 cooked medium bream, 1/3 onion-chopped, 2 ribs celery-chopped, Tony Cachere, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 egg, and breadcrumbs from toasted John Derst's bread.

Sweet Margaret they were good.
    How are those bream cooked before you put them in the cake?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

RP, I steamed them. I filled the bottom of a large pot with onion and celery to keep the fish off the bottom of the pot. I seasoned with Tony Cachere during the steaming process as well. I forgot to add Texas Pete to the cake recipe.

I think when Bog makes them, he uses fried fish. I'm sure if you had any leftovers after a fish fry they would work well the next day. The steaming method works well if you're using filets.

THE way a bream should be cooked is with the head cut off, gutted, scaled, and fried. accompaniments include, but are not limited to, Texas Pete. this meal should be eaten without a plate, standin up, in the yard, with a cold beer close by.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What he said!

makes me hungry either way...

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    makes me hungry either way...
    x2

I'm used to crab cakes and oyster/clam/conch fritters, but I believe I could get used to some bream cakes...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!