Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a set up

Default need a set up

i cant stand it any more. Hell, I havent been able to stand it for a month or more.

you see....i have these gar....and they are tempting me to shoot them. tempting me so much that i ran by Jeffrey but they were closed. I couldnt stand it any longer. I kept driving...home....i got my jeffrey recurve...some camo duct tape...and I took my kids red/white/blue zebco reel off his rod and zip-tied it to my bow. Stroke of genuis, i tell ya. well, now I needed an arrow. Check. Ooops. I sure as heck dont have the right point...Alas, I had a judo point. damn barbs point the wrong way. got pliers. pointed them the right way. square knot and now the line is attached to the arrow. lets go shoot shit.

so I did. Landed a few. Lost a few.....and the arrows. shot out all my judo points. last fish I shot was with a normal target point and the lil metal thing they close a corn bag up with....twisted around and cut off. another stroke of genuis.

so.....now that I have explained what an idiot I am for losing arrows and using zip ties on my recurve, I need a setup. My hopes are a very simple reel that can be attached to my recurve. need a couple of arrows and some points and its on.

my question: the recurve I want to use doesnt have a screw in it on the front....for a stabilizer or whatever the hell you would put up there. all it has it two screw holes on the right side of the riser to hold a quiver mount. i reckon a reel can be mounted there? i dont expect to be shooting fish over 6-8lbs. I dont want to spend a fortune, i just want a basic set up so i wont lose my stuff....

is the tape on reel OK for what I would use it for? seems like crap...but what do i know?

do i need the AMS style reel with the dacron braid? I dont think so.

do they make a gadget to attach stuff to recurves in case I dont have the screws in the right place? i would rather not make a screwhole in my bow if i dont have to. hell, the well-engineered set up I am using right now would probably work if I had the right arrow and head.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

tradorion Coots

Toofer- Great Norther makes a rubber strapped rig that has the screw hole for a reel to be attached.... you just strap it to whatever bow you use....

or be a fun cheap bastard- get 3 honest fish arrows and the good line... make a drum reel out of a can and a flat piece of metal and rock the hell on

tradorion Coots

Want me to come help ya shoot some Sunday, 2fer?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

tradorion Coots

good luck on that invite Rat...

i'm still holding my breath hoping for a run at the bass n titty breamps

shiiiiiiiit. wife and kids were out of town last night so i took a buddy that wanted to try with the flyrod. i bet we didnt catch ten fish. granted, the bream we caught were honest 1-1.25lbers.

sunday might work. got nephews in town I have to take fishing so i expect i will get a kitchen pass on sunday.

thanks for the link. gonna order and get shipped FAST.

Toof....did you already get this gadget?

I got one of them....uh......strap ons and never use it. You more'd n welcome to it.

I got a fancy outfit about a month ago.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I ripped about 9 gar this afternoon with the .22.. Hate the things
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Im just dying to know the logic behind your hate for gar fish.

Im sure there is solid, thought out reasoning behind it.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 06-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They are right tasty. Just don't eat the roe.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

They are bait stealing, floatin worm destroying, bream/bass eating pieces of shit..

You still dying?

nah, I had no doubt it would be something along those lines.

btw, they aren't primary predators of bass or bream. quit believing everything you google.
    And they only steal bait if you're slow at setting the hook.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 06-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Who the fuck are you, Rudy Mancke?

So, have you tried to blow yourself yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Who the fuck are you, Rudy Mancke?
    Nah, but i had lunch with his brother last week.

Gar = good fertilizer for the mater' bush. Will produce some of the prettiest maters you have ever seen.

I'm using them for a coyote bait station...

I have to say that gar are the only fish that I hate...I reckon is due to having pulled over ten thousand of the damn stinky ass ganoid scale having suns of bitches out of gillnets.

bog, you had lunch with tom?

stripa=i got a reel for my bow and one for my sons. i am good to go, although Glenn raised the water a few feet and the gar are hard to come by. if the water would quit flowing, I will be ready.

now what's this about gar eating bream and bass? i need reasons to hate them bc i just dont at this point. sure would make me feel better to kill them if I had some hatred for them. tell me more. I dont see them attacking much when I watch them....

I've got 5 bowfishing bows, and I'm not going at it agian until next year. You can borrow one if you want. Just shoot me a PM and I'll bring it to the duck run

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    now what's this about gar eating bream and bass? i need reasons to hate them bc i just dont at this point. sure would make me feel better to kill them if I had some hatred for them. tell me more. I dont see them attacking much when I watch them....
    Thats Pbiz hogwash. They may feed on a crippled bream/bass.

And I saw mancke2 at No Name, we didn't eat together, I was bullshittin.

I was surprised to see him out of his little hut behind Hammond.