Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Afica...

What happened to an open mind?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Well said Tater.
    I hear your point, I still just cannot find sport in it.
    Maybe in my mind (which may be narrowed regarding this topic...might be the only one, haha) some animals just weren't meant to be hunted.
    Granted the indigenous folks of africa did traditionally hunt elephant, but hippo and big cats were not hunted.
    They were respected, not taken cheaply for bragging rights or office hero shots.
    These animals played a role in the ecosystem and man's desire to conquer all that moves for self satisfaction is causing them to become scarce.
    Its quite possible that I stereotype those that safari hunt as egotistical. That fault is mine.
    I do not hunt for food. I hunt for sport, however I do not brag when I say I think choosing wary, acrobatic waterfowl as my quarry is a little more challenging than say, a hippo.
    There is no danger from the game I hunt, nor is there really any danger in hunting elephant. People shoot elephants and hippos from safe distances, even if they are out of the vehicles, the toyota is close. I guess things could get a little hairy if the truck won't crank haha.

Pbiz likes to kill.
    He likes to kill everything.
    Maybe he posts things like this for mere humor.
    Maybe not.
    If he truly feels that way, than his age old (primarily white european) mentality is the driving force behind every animal that has made it to the endangered species list since the 1800s. The American bison, alligator, and eastern cougar suffered greatly for this.
    This mentality has no respect for the welfare of all life on earth. No respect for balance.
    No love for wildlife and the wonder and power that is nature.
    It is a shame.

I am enthrawled by wildlife and amazed by its mystery, I hope that when my life winds down I will be able to say I was a steward of this planet and co-existed with, and learned much from all the creatures that I was surrounded with.

I think I would be saddened if all my memories were full of killing just to kill.
    Hunting is a journey, it is a life long lesson in studying something wild. Learning from a species and how it is effected by its environment and how it effects others in its environment.
    It is being in that environment with minimal disturbance to those that are sharing it with you at that time.

I feel that this can be accomplished in many different ways, with many different animals, but again, I will never see how scanning the plains with binocs for a heard or pride, only to drive within shooting distance and then getting out and shooting will ever bring you respect and and understanding of the creature you killed or the environment in which it played a roll in.

Sincerely,

The Hippy.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Bog,

I'm all about making sure there is hunt in the hunt but any woody hole duck hunter that looks down on others for a "wait and shoot them when they come to where they naturally want to be" hunt is being a bit hypocritical yes?
    I must admit you are right, I am human and self-contradicting.
    I do however watch and study more wood ducks than I shoot....haha.
    I respect what I hunt, and generally take less than Im allowed, I just don't see this mentality much when talking to safari hunters......which doesn't happen often, but ive spoken to and listened to enough of them to form somewhat of an opinion.

read my post above, Its full of sappy hippy shit thats gonna get loads of ridicule from folks that don't see it the way i do, which im used to.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Killing a "big cat" is rank... Killing a "big cat" after it bites your leg is superfuckingRANK
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Nothing wrong with the people that do it, but shooting monkeys and elephants don't tickle my fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Pbiz likes to kill.
    He likes to kill everything.
    Maybe he posts things like this for mere humor.
    Maybe not.
    Only thing better than 1 crawfish dinner, is 5 crawfish dinners..

I love to kill animals.. Mostly whitetail deer, with my family and my hounds.. I will ocacsionally settle for ducks..

I don't however try to find the philosophical aspect in everything I do in the outdoors. I don't cut fellow hunters off, or take shots before they can.. I just enjoy taking a picture with daddy or whomever, with a stack of dead animals, of course..

I guarantee you, I plant and create more habitat for wildlife than 95% of anybody else you know..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

You don't try to get the draw on your partner and get the shot off before they do? Let me know if you want to go next season

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I guarantee you, I plant and create more habitat for wildlife than 95% of anybody else you know..
    that is by far the dumbest thing i think you have ever posted.

atleast in response to my posts.

Jesus boy,

you stupid or something?

I live in the county with the largest population of deer in the State.
    I live in and around the birth place of the inland duck pond.
    There are more quail farms in my county than any other I know of.

You really think your lease in st stephens creates more habitat than anyone I know?

I thought you had a little sense.

I help manage and create habitat for animals on over 7,000 acres. But the post was mainly intended for the hippy/tree huggerish remark about my lack of love for wildlife..

ps, if you loved yourself anymore, I'm sure you would try to suck your own dick..

And St. Stephen is singular, not plural..

I'll give you 2 sides to 2 stories.

My dad was finally able to go to africa a few years ago for plains game.
    On the second day there he called the office and said FIND HIM A PLANE TICKET HOME. He was pissed at the hunt and extremely let down to what he thought it was gonna be, no it wasnt ride around and shoot something off the vehicle, it was ride around, spot something and then stalk it. He finally decided to stay and the only thing he enjoyed was the kudu hunt, since it was just like a elk hunt. They spent 2 days after the bull, they would actually come get them a hour after daylight to start hunting, that was the norm. My dad told the guide to be there at 5:30 the next morning and the guide responded, "But its still dark?!". He pulled the trigger on the bull that next morning at daybreak and that made it for him but i can promise you he won't be going back.

I have talked with and know a few guys who have been over there for elephant, lions etc.

From what i was told they would spend days looking for lion or leopard tracks and hope he was big enough, then come the stories of spending 18 to 20 days, walking and walking trying to find a big enough bull to shoot. These are guys who have hunted there asses off around the world and said the elephant hunt was the most demanding they had ever done. I am sure there are some gimme hunts out there but from what i was told it was a hell of a feat.

I would love to hunt an elephant, buffalo or big cat, but i sure as hell wouldnt go for plainsgame.
    Last edited by buckpro; 06-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

You can go over there and run around chasing animals with a switch if you want to. How many would? I will go if I live long enough...probably when I'm too old to climb mountains or I can afford to take my Dad or kid with me. I will hunt my way and find an outfit that will let that happen.
    My philosophy on all of this is that it should be personal. That you can only love what you know...only know what you interact with...and the most incredible interaction you can have with the natural world is by taking your natural role as predator. How much of that you want to take on...again, should be personal. It's being bred out of us faster than most realize though so getcha some before it's too late.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

... you always have to remember to get pretty far outa the window of the SUV or you'll blow out some ear drumbs.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    ...and the most incredible interaction you can have with the natural world is by taking your natural role as predator. .
    good stuff.

now on to Af ica:
    Kudu/lopes/zebra/buff and a warthog...bongo if possible. not in that order.

Kitty cats, maybe. elephants, sure. baboons, absolutely.

I can also tell a story about a buddy who spent 17 days to kill a kudu and 1 buff, that was a depredation/nuisance animal. killed his kudu in 3 days and it took 14 days of 12 hour days tracking to finally catch up to the buff. Lose sign, 2 days later find it again etc. I bet he was wishing for a land rover..lost 15#'s in the process.

like snob said, that was superrankX'2 cubed or sumthing like that.

Usually a guy should have a real good understanding of issues before denouncing..i.e. The guy in France who thinks killing deer in america is cruel and inhumane cause we just drive around and shoot them from the truck. They saw that on TV once, thats all they know.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Stripa,

I think you kinda get what Im saying.

I hope so.

I also hope you get to take your trip, and it would really be something to take your quarry on foot with your longbow.

that is hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What happened to an open mind?
    What happened to being conscientious?

Big cats are by anyone's definition endangered.

I think this may be a repost.The lion almost won. I don't know which was more dangerous the lion are the "hunters"

Where is Afica?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Does a Zebra neigh like a horse when you shoot him?

always liked that video.

I don't claim to know all about safari hunting.
    I don't have experience in this field, so my opinion may be biased towards my fascination and desire to preserve large wildlife.
    I can only voice opinion influenced by amatuer research and 1st and 2nd stories from those who have played the game.
    I can imagine tracking big, skittish grazers is quite the challenge.

Elephants, cats, and hippos aren't skittish.