Thread: 5/1 Hartwell

Default 5/1 Hartwell

Well THOUGHT I was ready to start the day off good, original plan was to pull planer boards first 2-3 hours and then fish cut bait on points.

Friday afternoon I picked my boat from mechanic where he was doing the 100 hour service and couple other minor things but when I backed boat into water at ramp I heard that awful sound of a dead battery and I knew my backup battery that runs my ff was bad but had just not got around to replacing it.

Well since I pretty much refuse to shop at Wally World I came back to the house and threw my battery charger on and turned it up and then went to a locally owned battery store at 8 am near the house and picked up a new electronics battery.

Finally got on the water about 9 am and pulled up to first point on Shaw Island which is the one that runs parallel to Andersonville. Right off the bat caught 4lb cat and figured it would be a day of catching catfish but that was the only cat of the day.

Fished two different points within 400 yards of each other and finally tally best I could keep up with was 14 fish, 1 cat, 4 spotted bass and 9 stripers with the biggest right at 8lbs. Nothing big but nice day on the water all things considered.

talked with some buddies who fished points on Hartwell yesterday, cutbait, only hauled in kitty fish.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Nice.

Gonna try to sneak out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeLiner View Post
    talked with some buddies who fished points on Hartwell yesterday, cutbait, only hauled in kitty fish.

I was afraid that is all i would catch but first was a cat and that was the only one.

You can tell the difference when they hit, cats will kind of pick and pick and then get hooked but a striper will hit and run wide open pulling drag. I set my drags very loose when doing this.

Kind of shocked they just caught cats, need to be on points on the main channel and if I catch 2-3 cats and no stripers I move to another point

Need a point that has a good drop off near by, I stay away from the big flat points