Bible Study Verse:

Matthew 26:40-41

And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. (ESV)

Thoughts:

Who hasn't fallen asleep hunting? Many of us have stayed up too late the night before a big hunt or been worn out fighting the elements and succumbed to fatigue.

I recall my son's recent deer hunt from a ground blind. Facing away from him, I could see the deer coming. Under my breath I hissed, "deer," "deeeeer," "DEEEEER!" Overcoming a case of the nods, he snapped to attention with only half his wits about him. By the time the gun was up, there was snow on the scope and one disoriented teenager! Thankfully the deer never got close enough.

When Jesus addressed the disciples' physical grogginess, he was speaking to a much deeper spiritual grogginess. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" is often our excuse for failure. It should be a warning against it. In life, we can't afford to give into temptation, for we are the hunted. Peter warned,"Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour," I Peter 5:8 (ESV). (Matt F)

Action Point:

What dangerous spiritual grogginess could Jesus address in your life? "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Get with another Christian and begin to hold yourself accountable to each other. Don't allow weakness to be an excuse for failure. Stay alert!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

Make sure you're prepared mentally and physically for a big hunt. Get the proper sleep the night before and bring the proper gear to help you fight the elements.