Thread: Favorite Brand of Fly Line?

Default Favorite Brand of Fly Line?

What brands of fly line do you guys like?

I've only used Orvis Wonderline Gen 3 (actually haven't even used it since purchasing it), but get good reports on it.

My other line is so old I only know it's a 6 wt. WF Orvis line, but don't recall which model.

I need to replace a couple of lines so am looking at other brands that ain't so damn expensive (Wonderline Gen 3 = $70+/-). I'm looking for at least a 5 wt WF and 6 wt DT for now.

I've been told that 3M makes the Orvis Wonderline, and the Scientific Angler lines and probably a few others.

Don't know much about RIO, etc.

What do you guys use & recommend?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

3M Scientific Angler is my favorite. I havent used some of the others that are considered "higher Quality" but in the same price range I like the Scientific Angler the best. There are many different versions of it depending on things such as water temperature and species.

x2 on the scientific angler

Good saltwater line runs between 55-70 dollars from Scientific Angler
    and can get the SA Headstart floating line for 40- 45. I have used the Headstart line in freshwater and found it to be pretty good. But if you are going saltwater I would use the saltwater line in the 60 dollar range. That line is as good as you will need. They have a special redfish version and will be perfect for most conditions around here.

I should state that all of my fishing is expected to be mountain trout, at least for the foreseeable future.
    ~ George Washington

The cheapest one I can find.

The secret.....KEEP IT CLEAN AND DRESSED!

I laugh like hell well some cat has an $80 fly line that can't shoot it because it feels like sandpaper and my $15 stuff is slick as eel snot and 10 years old.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post

I laugh like hell well some cat has an $80 fly line that can't shoot it because it feels like sandpaper and my $15 stuff is slick as eel snot and 10 years old.
    ditto X3
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Great point.

The main difference I have found between nice and cheap fly line is that the good stuff keeps the right amount of flexibility or stiffness .

You've got that right. That's the reason my one 20+ yr. old Orvis line is still usable, although it's definitely seen better days.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowcountryboykin21 View Post
    Great point.

The main difference I have found between nice and cheap fly line is that the good stuff keeps the right amount of flexibility or stiffness .
    Therein lies the confusion about all these dang lines.

For example, I keep hearing comments about Cortland line being 'limp', but not much about RIO vs. SA (trout) lines, etc. The Orvis Wonderline Gen 3 is slicker than "eel snot", but I haven't found any rating charts anywhere to help guide one through the myriad of other lines on the market.
    ~ George Washington

armor all keeps the line good and slick. you can shoot it to the backing.

good luck,

skeet

I don't have any line to compare it to, but for bass and bream, I haven't had any problems with Cabelas flyline.

I buy good stuff, cheap stuff and then forget which reel has which... no doubt clean is the key.

To me how slick the line is out of the box doesnt make much difference because that is something easy to do yourself and will have to anyway after some cast.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    You've got that right. That's the reason my one 20+ yr. old Orvis line is still usable, although it's definitely seen better days.

Therein lies the confusion about all these dang lines.

For example, I keep hearing comments about Cortland line being 'limp', but not much about RIO vs. SA (trout) lines, etc. The Orvis Wonderline Gen 3 is slicker than "eel snot", but I haven't found any rating charts anywhere to help guide one through the myriad of other lines on the market.

Scientific Angler

Spot on. I do like my shark skin too. Got a few SA's and some Orvis. All are good but will not make up for sorry form.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

PB is right, buying good line if you can't cast is like buying 3.5" shells because you can't call a duck or turkey into 25yds.

Rio makes great lines.

SA lines: go with the redfish or the saltwater. The redfish will be a little limp in the heat of the summer but still performs well.

F' sharkskin, load of shit IMO...tough to clean and more money than it's worth. their marketing dept caught alot of anglers though.
    xHCFKx

I'd like to thank my dad for coming, and my mom for being there...

Mastery Series APX, willow gray(less spookage), and the slickest shit on earth.