Thread: Laptop Battery

Default Laptop Battery

I have a toshiba laptop and my power cord wont strike right where it plugs into the 'puter. If you have it on your lap and you move, it will stop charging...pulling off the battery. It is aggravating to say the least.

Anyone ever have issue like that?

You reckon it is the power cord, or the female receptacle?

Also, the plug gets smoking hot when it is charging. Again, normal?

TIA!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Had same kinda prob with a Dell. On mine the plug is attached to the motherboard, it was loose. So no one would mess with it. Finally found a guy that "plays" with puters on the side. He resoldered it and back in business. Good luck

keep that laptop off your balls...

It sounds like the charger to me. I have had to replace the charger/wall plug/whatever on two Dell laptops.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

BB, I had a Dell that was doing the same thing. I took it to a guy here in G'ville that put a new plug in the 'puter (had to solder it to the motherboard) and I was good to go.

Computer Clinic was the name of the place up here, I think.

Wow. I just made a post in the nerd forum. Damn.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Had same kinda prob with a Dell. On mine the plug is attached to the motherboard, it was loose. So no one would mess with it. Finally found a guy that "plays" with puters on the side. He resoldered it and back in business. Good luck
    X2

I'd go with the company Simple suggested. I took mine to Millennium Computers/Computer Inferno (same company) here at the beach and never saw it again. I went down there to looking for someone to slap, but no one would take responsibility. The "old" me would've just started slapping everyone just to make sure I got the right right person.

Anyway, I was 134th in line on the BBB complaint list.

Moral of story...you have a serious problem with your computer. Take it to a reputable company.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I have the same issue on a Toshiba that I have. The connection is shot, and I was told that it's not worth fixing. I NEED to try, at some point, just so I can get some files off of it.

That laptop-to-power supply is a weak link in most laptops. I have a surplus former-gov'mint IBM ThinkPad X41 now that I am being careful with. The BEST system is the Apple Macbook connection - held in place magnetically.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Apple has got their shit together.
    Last edited by dukhntr; 03-19-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Apple has got their shit together.
    Ed Zackery. My future computers will all be Apples.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

If you are heading back toward the coast stop by Compuforce in Florence (on Palmetto St.) I have had good service from them over the years.

i've replaced the female plug on the mother board on laptops before. its not a terribly hard thing to solder. the hardest part is taking the laptop apart and putting everything back where it came from.

I've got an HP doing the same thing; I can unplug it and plug it back in, and it'll work for a while. Also, the screen keeps going in and out; it'll go light and is hard to see, then for no good reason, start working. Sometimes for a split second, sometimes for 30 minutes or more.

you people need to start paying the extra 60 bucks and get the 3 year warranty

I paid $300 for this computer three years ago...

Thanks for the tips.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

phonenix computer in sumter. $50 and he will get it fixed up for you. Let him order the part before you leave it though to reduce the time it will have to sit there.

BB...I just had the problem a few weeks ago. I took it to repair place and they said it wasn't the cord, but the "port". They told me it would cost several hundred to fix..

Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterGirl View Post
    BB...I just had the problem a few weeks ago. I took it to repair place and they said it wasn't the cord, but the "port". They told me it would cost several hundred to fix..
    they just wanted your money

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I have the same issue on a Toshiba that I have. The connection is shot, and I was told that it's not worth fixing. I NEED to try, at some point, just so I can get some files off of it.
    try this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102&cm_re=bytecc-_-12-156-102-_-Product

Or just bring it to me and I'll get what ever you need off of it for you. Won't take 30min. Just pm me
    Last edited by mello_collins; 03-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.