Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handheld GPS

Thanks SBT...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

GPSMAP 76CSX I love it. Wife got it for me for xmas, it goes in the boat and hunting, Just this past season it fell out of my coat pocket, while hunting in Bowman, it fell into a water filled ditch, and i didn't notice it till i went to look for it, found it about an hour later, still working.

I put strips of reflective tape on my GPS (and other gear) and it has helped me find it more than once.

i got the Garmin Colorado 400c and that thing is awesome...i would recommend...i liked the 60csx but the colorodo has a bigger screen i think...i liked the oregons but i just dont know about this touch screen mumbo jumbo

Garmin and don't even bother to look at others. I love my 76, but also have a NUVI (car) and an etrex. Never seen a Garmin I didn't like...

I picked up an Oregon 400c yesterday. I like the form factor and touch screen but the screen is not very bright. I don't know why Garmin can't just take a Nuvi , add an electronic compass and put different software on it. It's got a big touch screen that's still easy to see in daylight.

The folks at West Marine said they had them discounted because Garmin is about to put out a new model and discontinue the Oregon and Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    ...the screen on the Oregon units washes out in direct sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I picked up an Oregon 400c yesterday. I like the form factor and touch screen but the screen is not very bright...

The 60C and 76C units actually get brighter in direct sunlight.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

jeeze....i own a $89 lowrance, havent been lost yet, and always find X.
    and its water proof.
    once again..y'all think too much...46 replies for a hand held gps.....
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

So is it worth the extra money to get the 60C SX over the 60Cx? Do you trust the electronic compass? Does it work if you are riding a 4-wheeler? How much would you use a barometic sensor?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

The compass is definitely useful and plenty accurate enough. A gps doesn't know which way is north unless you are moving. My old one had a setting for telling it at what speed to use the compass or GPS for north bearing. If you are in thick woods, you often can't move fast enough or stay in open enough cover to get a good signal and get a good bearing without the compass. If you ever use one for tracking a deer and try to do a grid pattern, you'll be very glad you got the one with the compass. The barometer isn't much use in the flat Lowcountry but it will tell you if the barometer is rising or falling, which can have an effect on fish and game or tell you that some bad weather is setting in.

My new Oregon has a neat feature I tried today. You can walk or ride around an area and it will compute the area in acres.

Delorme pn40
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Quote Originally Posted by OSHC View Post
    So is it worth the extra money to get the 60C SX over the 60Cx? Do you trust the electronic compass? Does it work if you are riding a 4-wheeler? How much would you use a barometic sensor?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
    I use the compass when I'm offshore trying to get my boat over a reef. Without the e-compass the wind and current create forward motion not necessariliy in line with the boat.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

76csx all the way