Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS

Default Handheld GPS

Looking into getting a hand held GPS sometime in the near future. I really like the way the Garmins look but don't know anything about any of them to be honest. Anyone have any experience or recomendations as to which brand to go with. Will mostly be using it on the coast so good coastal maps are definitely a plus.

garmin is the way to go imo.

garmin

I have a Lowrance H2Oc(color) hand held I would be willing to part with... it comes with a RAM car mount and car charger. 512MB SDcard with maps loaded
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Garmin's GPSmap 76C(Sx) or 60C(Sx) will never let you down.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

tradorion Coots

Rubberhead NAILED it- Brand and model.... it has chips so you can use it like i do on the roads of SC, offshore (blue water chip), AND the four corners chip when i hunt colorado/new mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Garmin's GPSmap 76C(Sx) or 60C(Sx) will never let you down.
    x2

tradorion Coots

AND- for a small "beverage surcharge" D's Tees might can be convinced to give a mapping/computer class...... that sumbeetch can flat out COOO-ORDINATE his GPS/MAPS/Photos etc....

It's a damn good thing i had it runnin' that day.

I love my 76CX. I bought a program about 4 years ago called expert gps. Using that program, I can import points into google and vice versa. Also, the free maps off of gpsfiledepot.com are pretty sweet. Blows the pre-loaded maps out of the water.

That was pretty amazing how I put us dead on it. Once in a lifetime.

tradorion Coots

dude- anybody that can throw a marker out and be within 20feet (maybe even 10ft)of their motor in 35feet of murky ass water..... sheeeeeeit- i had never before had a recovery that accurate and only once since then in far shittier circumstances (fatality) have i seen it matched.

you are still my hero for the maps that you came out there with- that was flat out kickassssssss
    Last edited by tradorion; 03-15-2010 at 06:31 PM.

That was the least I could do. Whats WM up to? You talk to him lately? How you like livin' up this way?

I had a Garmin 76S that got stolen. I still haven't replaced it but I've been looking. The Garmin Oregon series looks pretty appealing. Instead of hard buttons, it has a big ass color touch screen with soft buttons. The Dakota is pretty similar but also has a built in camera fro geotagging. The Oregon I covet runs around $500 with preloaded maps.

Garmin all the way. D's Tees, I wanted to thank you for that link to the maps. I loaded them on my Garmin 76CS and it's been dead on.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

tradorion Coots

Life is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD for this old man in the midlands

Quote Originally Posted by D's Tees View Post
    x2
    x's 3. i have the 60csx and use it for several different applications. highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by tradorion View Post
    Life is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD for this old man in the midlands
    Did you get some GPS coords. to some poon-tang?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

tradorion Coots

LMAO- it would take alot more than a 10digit grid coordinate to help me get laid....

west marine had the Garmin Oregon 400c on sale for $300 and it comes with the Blue chart but i dont know if its still on sale

Appreciate all the input looks like I'll be going with the Garmin. Now if I can scrounge up the cash to actually get one. At first I really liked the way the 400c looked but after looking into it more not sure its worth it. It doesn't float and with my luck that could be a problem. D's Tees, the maps that come off of gpsfildepot.com are topo maps for the most part from what I saw. Do they have coastal waters maps on there as well that are better than the Garmin maps you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by sbt View Post
    Appreciate all the input looks like I'll be going with the Garmin. Now if I can scrounge up the cash to actually get one. At first I really liked the way the 400c looked but after looking into it more not sure its worth it. It doesn't float and with my luck that could be a problem. D's Tees, the maps that come off of gpsfildepot.com are topo maps for the most part from what I saw. Do they have coastal waters maps on there as well that are better than the Garmin maps you buy?
    Most of the Garmin coastal maps are digitized NOAA charts. These charts are about as good as it gets.

I've never seen them outside but I've heard the screen on the Oregon units washes out in direct sun. The GPSmap 60C(sx) and 76C(sx) units actually light up in direct sun.

Here's mine (on the left) mounted on my fishing boat. These are great units with tide, sun rise/set,

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.