Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Bar'ing

Squatty,

Thanks... this post brought back some "not so great" memories....

I'm sure your correct with the phonetics... the term originated from barrow which is a castrated pig. When I was in high school there was many a day spent in the field during FFA class (of course between English & math class) where we had to "work" 70lb boar pigs. Nasty stuff... if there would been another pig in that pen (without the dog) you could have placed bets on how many "minutes" the balls would have laid on the ground before the other pig had them for lunch. They will eat most anything.... hence the phrase... "he went to shit and the hogs ate him"
    Last edited by HRC Dogs; 03-13-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Cajun

I posted it here:

http://www.scducks.com/forum/showthr...552#post570552

HRC, I've got to tell you it was a very STINKY experience
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 03-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Man, talk about memories. When I was in late grade school into high school, my family had a hog farm, between 300-400 at a time. We would usually cut once a month and it would take all of a Saturday morning if started at 7AM... There would always be a couple folks stop for the 'delicacy' when we were cutting!

Anyway, we'd cut because a barrow brought more money at the market and they would put on weight quicker and if they got too big and were intact, the meat wouldn't be as good and they'd also be more aggressive, if kept that long. It's a WHOLE lot eaiser to cut at 40 lbs than 100 lbs, but we had bought some that weren't cut at that size and had to cut 'em. We'd use a razor blade and get the nuts & tail and spray 'em with purple spray, then turn them loose. They woudln't bleed anymore than 30 seconds and would be at the feed bin as soon as they got done. Nothing like the sound of that squeal!!!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Old boy from Marion County does the same thing to the boars he catches. He says small boars he cuts taste better and grow ten times faster but he don't turn them bas--t--ers loose,he's got holding pens.