Thread: Old Server

Default Old Server

I got my hands on an old (5-7) year old server. I formatted the hard drive and I am trying to get Linex loaded on it. I want to use it at work for 2 things--1) I want to route our wireless internet through the server and 2) I want to use it to host the camera I am about to install on our new webpage.

Can I do this? Does this make sense?
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

yes. maybe.

1) What are you hoping to accomplish routing wireless traffic through the linux box that you cannot do with some access points/dd-wrt routers?

2) http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm Maybe of help.

You can sure do it Edisto, no experience with webcam hosting on linux but there appears to be an open source app for just about anything these days. I'd tell the boss he needs to pony up for a new win2008 server to run that stuff though and take the old one and make a gameserver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Thanks for the input. I have some reading to do.

I wish they would Rock--but it ain't going to happen.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what they had to teach; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

You know I'm just funning my man. Just setup a Cisco remote webcam with audio on a wireless network that has pan/tilt about 180 degrees. Ran around $200 and has excellent video on local LAN but can't speak for sending across www. If you want to check it out let me know. And oh, holla if your still coming this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

I wish I could come; but I have to run a table at the SW Virginia Boat Show.