Thread: Thinking about taking this one up as a sport

Default Thinking about taking this one up as a sport

Been hearing about all this and sounds like pure fun. Just wanted some expert advice on what kind of bay dogs you guys recommend. Looks like the pit is the way to go on the catch dog.

Thanks in advance for all your help and all advice/pointers welcome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you are set on having "catch" dogs, I hope you have a big wallet for vet bills. If you go for bay dogs, plott, catahoula and the like are hard to beat. The dogs are the inexpensive part... start adding in gps collars, cut vests, vet bills etc... and it gets very expensive, very quickly.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

S&A is correct about the start up costs. Typically for bay dogs you see catahoulas and currs (blackmouth, florida, etc.). Mostly pits are used for catch dogs but occasionally you do see some dogos as well. I can tell you from experience when it comes to buying protection for your dogs, whether it is cut collars, cut vests, etc. don't be cheap. If you buy cheap stuff, your vet bills will be higher. Also, you will need staple guns, blood stop powder, iodine and anything else you can think of to fix a dog in the field. Hope this helps.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Bug and S&A are dead on, don't short yourself or your dogs on collars and vests. As for dogs, I have always liked catahoulas but I have seen anything and everything do it (i.e. Labs, and one BADASS jack russell, that little SOB would go and bay with the best of them then when the catch dogs came he latched on and went for a ride). Good luck, hog hunting is one of the things I miss, think these Montana folks would mind if I introduced'em
    cut\'em

go for it cant go wrong with dogs