Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legislation against dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by fastalker View Post
    to bad a law has to be written to make people do what is "right".

aint it the truth

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

It really does nothing to help property owners. The dogs can still come and run all over you with no recourse. The dog hunter just can't show up with a gun.

This bill was written by dog hunters in a desperation attempt to avoid the real solution.

There is basically no change from the present laws on the books about loaded guns in trucks.

The only new change is a big fine for the property owner who bothers a dog while it's on his property.

This is nothing but a special interest bill put forth by the dog hunters by way of McGill.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-18-2010 at 08:15 AM.

i agree with the renegade hunters thing, but what gets me is how does a damn dog cause so many problems for people still hunting. what do they d run the deer out of the state? we dog hunt and still hunt on big tracts and large tracts. we have run dogs in the morning and killed deer then go back to the same area that afternoon and kill deer out of the stand. i understand the trespassing part and i dont think you should be able to stand right on the border of someone else's property. but the thing that always intrigues me about these discussions is how does a dog mess up your hunting? one person please explain this to me. i mean deer have to eat, deer have to water, deer have to get laid, they are going to move whether there is no dogs or 100 dogs.

i can honestly say i have never had a deer leave b/c of the sound of dogs, dogs trailing them is a different story. but no i have never had a deer leave b/c of a hound, in fact i killed 3 deer this year within 35 yards of our pens

dont get me wrong it is screwed up to turn dogs loose where you dont have permission and trespass, but dogs do not cause the problems everyone that opposes it makes it out to be

PP&WS,

If I wanted to hear dogs and see running deer while I deer hunted I would turn my own loose.

That's why I fenced my property so not to disturb my neighbors and control my dogs.

The problem with your attitude is, ....you are dictating how someone else choses to hunt on his own property. That decision should be left up to the individual/owner/leaser.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    The rabbit hunters better wake up as well. I'm not totally opposed to the bill, but it could be worded better. I think it's vague and has loopholes. It needs to be more specific about to how address the rogue hunters which I "think" is the intent.

Very nicely put...coon hunters you listening...duck hunters...anyone that lives in the country and has an old dog that isn't fenced in...it's coming.

I find it interesting that everyone that is against dog hunting has renegade hunters around them. However, they know that there are those dog hunters that do it right. How is this possible....because there are that many "renegades"

I dog hunt and still hunt a lot and realize that it is inevitable that dog hunting in the future will not be what it was in the past, however it chaps my ass that most everyone that is bitching about dog hunting knows absolutely nothing about it. They think that because 2 dogs came across their property 3 times last year (4.5 month season people) that dog hunters are the reason they aren't killing deer.

I would bet my wallet that 90% of the people, that I encounter, that complain about dog hunters only do so because they aren't having successful hunts for completely different reasons. They just want to blame dogs as the problem. It is easy to cast the blame of failure on something other than yourselves and dog hunters are the problem. It has nothing to do with the 40 acre tract they rented has never had deer, or that they couldn't hunt easter eggs in a parking lot, it is because dog hunters are close by.

When dog hunting is long gone, people will still bitch about something. Next time it may be that treestands are unethical. Wouldn't that be a bitch?

There are renegades. I know some, I don't hunt with them, and they don't last long in one area at all now, but they do exist.

I do find it hard to believe that everyone that complains about dogs isn't bright enough to see that legislation against any form of hunting in a "Free" state is contradictory to the general beliefs and freedoms most here share.

i am not dictating anything and i am not saying that people that dog hunt dont piss people off, all i am saying is evaluate the situation. does a coon dog do the same thing, or a rabbit dog, house dog, squirrel dog, i mean there are more variables than just a dog here. as i have said before to each is own on how you want to hunt or what you want to hunt. i can see how a dog getting on you property could piss you off. but is it more of the dog messed up my hunting or is it just finding something to blame b/c you didnt kill a deer?

You think some bill is going to stop the renegades from doing what they do? A renegade is exactly that and some law will not stop them. The people who do it right will continue to do so and the renegade will continue to do what they do. Look at people who jump shoot ducks. I don't know the fine but I would imagine it is pretty substantial, yet they still do it. Trespassing is already breaking the law (period), just because this law is put into place doesn't mean people are going to start obeying a law they already break. Think about it fellas, we are relying to much on government!

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    does a coon dog do the same thing, or a rabbit dog, house dog, squirrel dog, i mean there are more variables than just a dog here.

At the Stakeholders meetings, the DNR said that 100% of their complaints were about deer dog hunters............period. That's what this is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    At the Stakeholders meetings, the DNR said that 100% of their complaints were about deer dog hunters............period. That's what this is about.
    I've got ocean front property in Nebraska if you're interested...

ok i know that is what this is about, but whats next is coon hunting on your own property going to screw your neighbors hunting up. or running beagles on rabbits. Or my dog in my yard barking b/c you hunt the private land behind my house. or the person on the lake with the ididot dog that wont quit barking. this is my point. if you would quit getting hotheaded and just listen you would understand what i am saying. i have already said dogs running on your private property is not right but is is no different than any of these other scenarios i just pointed out

I'm not hotheaded, I assure you.

"ok i know that is what this is about, but whats next is coon hunting on your own property going to screw your neighbors hunting up. or running beagles on rabbits."

Any discussion should be to solve the problem, not attempt to minimize it with diversions, which are not problems at this time.

I'm hotheaded on deer doggin. Catdaddy is the official spokesman for my cool head on this issue. Carry on.....
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    I would bet my wallet that 90% of the people, that I encounter, that complain about dog hunters only do so because they aren't having successful hunts for completely different reasons. They just want to blame dogs as the problem. It is easy to cast the blame of failure on something other than yourselves and dog hunters are the problem. It has nothing to do with the 40 acre tract they rented has never had deer, or that they couldn't hunt easter eggs in a parking lot, it is because dog hunters are close by.

When dog hunting is long gone, people will still bitch about something. Next time it may be that treestands are unethical. Wouldn't that be a bitch?
    Great Post..............Truer words have never been spoken.........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

i agree with you 100% but what i am getting at is, is it that big of a problem that we should pass legislation against one type of hunting b/c a few people get their panties in a wad b/c something supposedly messed up their hunting. to me this just stokes the fire to get more legislation on other types of hunting especially anything including dogs. the legislation is looking at dog hunting and dogs as a whole and not the individual participants. i just think passing something like this will open up a whole 55-gallon drum of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post

When I have seen 4 beagles chase a deer across my shooting lane when I am close to the middle of a 100 acre tract, I should not have to say, "Oh well, this is just the third time in the 4.5 month season. I shouldn't mind." I may be wrong, but I consider my hunt unsuccessful if that happens. No deer is going to come to my corn pile after another one just got run off by 4 dogs.

I didn't hunt out of a tree stand but 3 times this season, so go ahead and outlaw them. It won't bother me.

PBiz seems like he's doing it right. I doubt I would complain about dog driving if I still hunted next to his club.

i just think passing something like this will open up a whole 55-gallon drum of worms.
    What we are doing here (hunters arguing against hunters) is exactly what anti-hunting groups want. If hunters can't support other hunters, then why would anyone else. Enforce the laws that are in place, don't just add more and more laws only not to be enforced. We should focus on not cutting back DNR funding so we can have enough authorities to take care of the laws we already have. Quit supporting anti hunting bills, it will not be in your favor in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Take em' View Post
    What we are doing here (hunters arguing against hunters) is exactly what anti-hunting groups want. If hunters can't support other hunters, then why would anyone else. Enforce the laws that are in place, don't just add more and more laws only not to be enforced. We should focus on not cutting back DNR funding so we can have enough authorities to take care of the laws we already have. Quit supporting anti hunting bills, it will not be in your favor in the long run.

Only 5% of the population is antihunting.

And it's not about hunters against hunters even though alot of property owners having problems are hunters.

It's about dog tresspassing, landowners, and property rights.

Only doghunters and land owners were invited to the special meetings last summer.

Some of the land owners still hunted,some doghunted, and some did both.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-18-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdeerBASSturkey View Post
    When I have seen 4 beagles chase a deer across my shooting lane when I am close to the middle of a 100 acre tract, I should not have to say, "Oh well, this is just the third time in the 4.5 month season. I shouldn't mind." I may be wrong, but I consider my hunt unsuccessful if that happens. No deer is going to come to my corn pile after another one just got run off by 4 dogs.

I didn't hunt out of a tree stand but 3 times this season, so go ahead and outlaw them. It won't bother me.

PBiz seems like he's doing it right. I doubt I would complain about dog driving if I still hunted next to his club.
    Come on man...you are in the 90%