Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legislation against dog hunting

Default Legislation against dog hunting

http://www.thestate.com/politics/story/1111091.html

Dont see a problem with this law if it goes through. There are some out there that totally abuse the current laws.

I think it it a good thing but it doesn't do enough!

Senate adds hunting dog restrictions
    The Senate gave final passage Thursday to a bill that prohibits hunters from using dogs to hunt on property without a landowner's permission.
    "The Renegade Hunter Act" makes it illegal to use a dog to hunt a property from a road, a right of way, a property line or boundary for which a person does not have written permission, and imposes a minimum fine of $500.
    Anyone convicted of violating the law also faces a one-year hunting license suspension for the misdemeanor.
    The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Yancey McGill, D-Williamsburg, and approved by the Senate Fish, Game, and Forestry Committee, makes no exceptions whether the hunting dog's release is intentional or unintentional.
    The bill is now headed to the House. If it passes the House then Gov. Mark Sanford will have the option of signing it into law.
    - Roddie Burris
    "The beautiful thing about the Second Amendment, is that it won't be needed till they try to take it away" - Thomas Jefferson

Conservation Permit #1969

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    okay......

Way past due.

I know it's needed but I hate that it has come to this. I grew up in Horry Co. running dogs around the Waccamaw and in Marion Co. near Brittons Neck. I guess back then we had land to run on. I know that the majority of the doggers are having to pay for what a few have done, but I still hate to see it.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

It just takes a heluvalot of land to do it right. Too many people do it knowing their dogs will be nuisance to land owners/still hunters. It aint my thing, but thats what Ive seen.

I don't mind dog hunting as long as it is done with respect to everyone else. Having said that I don't believe this new law goes far enough, it should not affect the ones (most of them) that do it right and respect land owners. I just feel like the renegades that trespass and blatantly disregard others should have dire consequences for their actions. They should be fined heavily and lose their hunting privileges.

To me is is no different than if I were to slip in to your privately owned impoundments to flare ducks up so my buddies outside the dike can shoot at them. Or better yet maybe go sit outside Pon Pon or Block Island and send my dog over the dike to jump the ducks and hope they come my way. If I were to do that I would surely be charged with trespassing, but yet these renegades (not the ones doing it right) do this same thing with the deer by turning their dogs loose to intentionally run deer off of my land to an area they can shoot them.

I do want to be clear that I am not against dog hunting AT ALL. In fact would love to go with some of you guys on here next season that do it right.
    "The beautiful thing about the Second Amendment, is that it won't be needed till they try to take it away" - Thomas Jefferson

Conservation Permit #1969

In most cases the one that gets hurt is the dogs,so don't blame the dogs but the person responsible

Quote Originally Posted by fastalker View Post
    Or better yet maybe go sit outside Pon Pon.... and send my dog over the dike to jump the ducks and hope they come my way. If I were to do that I would surely be charged with trespassing
    jail would be the safest place for you if Tadpole got hold of your ass

I agree with what you said
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I know it's needed but I hate that it has come to this. I grew up in Horry Co. running dogs around the Waccamaw and in Marion Co. near Brittons Neck. I guess back then we had land to run on. I know that the majority of the doggers are having to pay for what a few have done, but I still hate to see it.
    Do you still hunt in Brittons Neck? I love that area and have a question about a bow-only lease available over there.

Quote Originally Posted by fastalker View Post
    makes no exceptions whether the hunting dog's release is intentional or unintentional.
    I'm sure this law is aimed at deer hunters; so, here, it's saying that if I'm driving Manchester State Forrest (for example) and my dog wanders onto an adjacent property where I do not have permission, then I will be fined? If that's so, then it's BULL S***! This law will effectively end dog hunting for deer in SC.
    Professor

PS: I oppose this law and I'm not even a deer hunter.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

I'm sure this law is aimed at deer hunters; so, here, it's saying that if I'm driving Manchester State Forrest (for example) and my dog wanders onto an adjacent property where I do not have permission, then I will be fined? If that's so, then it's BULL S***! This law will effectively end dog hunting for deer in SC.
    Professor

x2

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    This law will effectively end dog hunting for deer in SC.

Or, it will make folks cast out less dogs so they can actually stop the few they do unleash before they cross property boundaries.

Hate to see something our founding fathers did years ago come to an end, this is a case where a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch...

great, now that I don't care, they pass something.

I hope our whole place we be completely fenced in the next coupla years..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Professor

From what I read if you stand at the property line waiting for your dog to run back a deer to shoot it then yes, you get fined. There is a difference and game wardens know that.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I have still hunted clubs and had adjacent clubs run dogs across the land on purpose. This is aimed directly at those groups that abuse the system and loop holes in the current laws. If your dogs get by you, don't stand on a road trying to retrieve them miles from your club holding a shotgun hoping to get a shot at the deer they are running. Simply catch them. This happened a lot in the club I mentioned. We would go get in our truck and follow them. Parked about 60 yards from them and watched them put up their shotguns to catch the dogs.

If you have the space, respect others hunters, and land owners then this law WILL NOT EFFECT you.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 01-17-2010 at 10:03 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I wonder if they will work on a bill to increase NR fees next?That would simply be grand!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/