Thread: More Duck Call Reviews

Default More Duck Call Reviews

I know this topic has been beat to death again and again on here, but I am in the market for a new single-reed. I've been shopping around a little bit, but have some questions about the differences between acrylic, polycarb, and wood calls. What exactly is the advantages/disadvantages of each material?

Also, I know Echo, Zink, and RNT all make quality calls, but I'm not looking to spend more than $50. Can ya'll point me in the direction of a quality call for under fitty?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

That's going to be hard, try ebay.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Echo Timber.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

There are a few buck gardners under 50 that are single reed. Knight & Hale makes a single reed called a "blue caller girl" I have enjoyed. I think I paid 10 for it from Grady's in Anderson off Ebay.
    Let no man come back from the grave to say his training let him down.

Second the echo timber, one of the best sounding duck calls i have, i use a rnt short barrel in coco, but the timber echo stays in my gun case as a back up. For thirty bucks it cant be beat.

I use the RNT short barrel for several reasons.

1. The wood has a bit of a softer tone than poly, or acrylic that has a really good ducky bottom end.

2. It is one of the most realistic duck calls i have heard. It has a little of squeakyness that you hear in hens some times.

3. I have all intentions of passing this duck call down to my child one day, and i think the worn out old wood duck call will be something that cherish.
    Last edited by scswamprat; 12-28-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I blow an echo open water in cocobola, good call that can get loud and as soft as I need it to. For a cheaper call I like olts, dj river now I think ... With a lil work that's one ducky soundin call.

grounds sweet meat think it's around fiftey and it blows real clean wood barrel and poly insert it's not a loud call which in most cases you don't want it loud
    HRCH BLUESKY'S RIPPIN RUSTY

for under fiddy, i'd go with either a poly echo or the "hunter" series from RNT. Both great calls. I would have to give a slight edge to the RNT. As far as wood vs. acrylic vs. poly, wood has a softer and I think duckier tone. BUT, wood will not last as long as acrylic or poly, and it swells causing the insert to get stuck sometimes. Poly sounds good, is cheap, but kinda ugly. Acrylic looks great, has a crisp tone, and will last forever. And, with poly and acrylic, you dont have to worry about dents or swelling.
    Last edited by Redleg Camo; 12-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.

thanks for the help fellas. ended up going with the echo timber poly. i have a quackhead timber single reed that has just never sounded right and recently lost a primos that i had.

i have a couple double-reeds that sound pretty nice but tend to stick up when it gets wet.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    thanks for the help fellas. ended up going with the echo timber poly.

zig, you want be disappointed, i had about $400 worth of calls in ARK last year, it was bitterly cold, and that was the only call i could keep from sticking all the time. You want ever need to buy another call if you dont want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.