Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Every BBQ joint in SC...

Bucky's > Duke's in Orangeburg by the Pepsi plant on Whitman rd. Duke's in Orangeburg by the Pepsi plant on Whitman rd is pretty damn good though...eat there every time I'm withing a 25 mile radius.

Po Pigs on Edisto is purty good.

I agree Mccabes

Quote Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter View Post
    Po Pigs on Edisto is purty good.
    Is that the place w/the red and yellow sign that's in w/the gas station (only bbq in Edisto I know of)?

If so, then I don't quite know how to respond in a tactful way.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

There's a Dukes' in Ridgeville too that's excellent. There is also a Dukes' on Spruill Ave. in N. Charleston only on Friday and Saturday evenings only that's authetic Dukes'. I think all the real Dukes' are decendants of Earl Dukes of O'burg. Dukes family has the best hash recipe in the world. Their BBQ is very good too but the hash is what brings me back time after time. The Ridgeville Dukes' has a killer buffet with all the good stuff; real mac and cheese, killer fried chicken, lotsa great veggies including rutabagas, real vanilla pudding, and ice tea the way it's supposed to be. The clientelle is authentic too. 90% have a Skoal can imprint on their back pocket, male or female. Camo is appropriate attire. USC or Clemson gear, even if you never went, is also acceptable.

Bucky's is awfully strong.

Friend of mine and I spent a couple of hours with the owner back in early October. He gave us the grand tour of the Roper Mtn. Rd. facility as well as some portable cookers and such out back. His testimony about how God has provided what he needed when he needed it will bring just about any man to his knees. Nearly unbelievable at some points.

Simple boy is right. BBQ is outstanding, and the chicken is even better.

Tell 'em, GB.

So here's my take on this whole thing...

I don't need the overblown buffet bar w/sides out the wazoo. I like Lee's in G'wood for that. Their chicken strips/chunks are unbelievably good. Their banana pudding is some of the best there is. Hell, they've even got a salad bar if you're so inclined. BUT Lee's ranks waaaaaaaaaay down the list on their pork. MANY places have good sides, but I shouldn't have to judge a BBQ joint on the sides. Seriously. The pork/ribs/chicken should stand on their own.

When it comes down to the items of protein that are removed from the smoker, Bucky's is the best I've had --- pork, chicken, and ribs. None of the 3 are ever dried out, all of their sauces are top notch (mustard, ketchup, and HOT vinegar) and they let you sauce it yourself - as it should be, IMO. They also have incredibly good sides, but they aren't over the top with the number of choices - baked beans, green beans, slaw, cucumber salad (maybe my favorite) and sweet potato crunch.

You'd think I work for the place the way I'm waving their flag, but it's just that good.

Williamsburg Co is # 1 in the state for BBQ.

Simple, the Dukes we ate was from Blackville. BUT, we ate it the next day which took away from it, remember Chuck had fish & gator when we got down there. I agree Dukes' hash is their strong point. Bucky's Q is strong but the chicken is second to none. Dukes' buffet can't be beat.
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Is that the place w/the red and yellow sign that's in w/the gas station (only bbq in Edisto I know of)?

If so, then I don't quite know how to respond in a tactful way.

X2...That place was terrible and if memory serves me correctly, we had been in the boat for about 7-8 hours before we got back to their?

T, you're right on all accounts. I forgot we had eaten it the next day and I certainly don't want to take away from it - it was good. And I had forgotten about the hash - it was the best I've had. I'd do that hash again in a heartbeat.

That fish and gator were right on too.

Speaking of BBQ, on a recent trip to the mountains, I realized that my Garmin Nuvi has a Places of Interest/Food/BBQ menu choice that pinpoints every BBQ near you. What a great feature! It doesn't rankthem, except by distance, but it tells you where they are. Technology is great.

Never tried Bucky's but Mcabes is good!!
    I love me some Southern Pride here in old Scumter. He does catering only!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    T, you're right on all accounts. I forgot we had eaten it the next day and I certainly don't want to take away from it - it was good. And I had forgotten about the hash - it was the best I've had. I'd do that hash again in a heartbeat.

That fish and gator were right on too.
    And the beer while fishing was OUTSTANDING, especially watching that rattler cross the river!

Alright, alright enough already y'all are prissin' up a perfectly good topic with all this man love y'all been spreading in here lately...

Porky Ds in Lexington, Robert has had the best HASH around for ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Alright, alright enough already y'all are prissin' up a perfectly good topic with all this man love y'all been spreading in here lately...
    OOPS!!

Break out the cholesterol again!!

Sweatmans X2 or mine own!!! Cooked a 70 pounder last weekend that was dayummm good
    "Some people ask why men go hunting. They must be the kind of people who seldom get far from the highway." - Gordon MacQuarrie

Quote Originally Posted by scland&timber View Post
    williamsburg co is # 1 in the state for bbq.
    we have a winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DUCKTALKR View Post
    Cooked a 70 pounder last weekend that was dayummm good
    Thanks for the call.