Bible Study Verse:

Corinthians 2:10b-12

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. (NIV)

Thoughts:

This last month we were blessed with the opportunity of spending three weeks in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. On one of our days there, we decided to hike up to the top of a mountain that overlooked the Columbian Glacier Field.

As my son and I arrived at the top, we were amazed at the difference between the bottom of the mountain and the top. At the base, it had been about 65 degrees, but when we arrived at the top, it was near freezing. The wind that swept over the mountaintop was gusting up to around 60 mph. We stood there looking at the ice field with our clothes tightly pressed against our bodies, our clothes flapping loudly, and us shouting at each other even though we were only a few feet apart. The wind was incredibly powerful! (Dave M)

Action Point:

In the Bible, the Holy Spirit is often compared to a wind. At times, we develop this idea that the Holy Spirit is somewhere out there passively watching our world as it passes by. The Bible says the Holy Spirit is like the wind. Let me tell you what I know from the mountaintop. The wind is real! Even though I couldn't see it, I could feel it - strongly. It impacted how long I stayed in certain places. It actually directed where I was able to go on the mountain.

As Christians, we need to remember that the Holy Spirit is on equal grounds to God and Jesus Christ. It's a mystery for all of us, but the Holy Spirit is not passive. He directs my path, and he directs yours. We need to not underestimate the role that the Holy Spirit plays in our lives. Ask the Holy Spirit to direct your ways today and recognize the power he has in your life.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

If you are going to hike mountains, make sure to take layers of clothes for your ascent. You might start out with shorts and a tank top, but it's very likely that you'll end up on the top in a wooly hat with your gloves on.