Thread: Yankee turkeys

Default Yankee turkeys

Just returned from a eight day trip to N.Y. and Ohio after turkeys and deer. Hunted at Turkey Trot Acres using turkey dogs and ten turkeys were killed by eight hunters. I killed a nice gobbler the last day of the hunt. Ohio was turkey and deer and I took a nice gobbler on my first hunt last Tuesday morning. Saw thirteen bucks and about twenty five does in seven sits. Shot a nice doe with the crossbow Tuesday afternoon for the gentleman that owned the land I was hunting. Said he wanted a bologna deer. Did return with several new turkey calls, three from Marlin Watkins and one from Scott Basehore. Steve Hickoff that writes for Outdoor Life has posted two blogs on their site about the hunt in N.Y. The titles are "Fall Longbeard Double" and something about a "Return to the Old Days". He has a couple of pictures posted also.

Sounds like a nice trip, cool to watch those dogs work.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Were the dogs boykins? Figured I would go ahead before someone else did.

Congrats on what sounds like a nice hunt

Quote Originally Posted by huntboykins801 View Post
    Were the dogs boykins? Figured I would go ahead before someone else did.
    Dang you for stealing my thunder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Nope, dogs are known as Appalachian Turkey Dogs from a gentleman in Virginia by the name of John Byrne. Several of my northern friends have his dogs. They are a cross between I believe a plott hound and bird dog. They range pretty good and bark on the flush. They are something to see in action.