Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why So Many Lost "Biggest Bucks"???

tradorion Coots

And I am not anti-rifle.... it just ain't my thing

although i will indeed use a rifle more than you will a stick...

I think I am going to start carrying my 444 so y'all won't be my competition.

The deer is my competition. Unfortunately, from my perspective, they win more than I do.

For those of you that bow hunt, to me that is the ultimate hunting. I can't do it right now. I usually have 2 boys in tow. Try keeping that quiet enough even for a gun range. Fortunately one of them is getting quite a kick out of a compund that Trad directed me too. He will kill one with a bow before I do.
    Last edited by rp; 10-11-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spailing
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

tradorion Coots

send him to me RP

trad said:
    we can argue all day the efficiency of a bow versus a gunn
    i am in a slump for not killing a deer with my bow in the last couple years.
    kinda not that hard to argue.

tradorion Coots

the discussion here was in regards to KILLING.... dead is dead- a gun killed deer is no deader than a bow killed one....

the gun simply allows for greater margin of error thus allowing more deer to be killed by half-assed shot placement.

Don't even start comparing excitement because i bet less than 5% of you have actually hunted and stalked a whitetail within 30yds. as opposed to ambushing one from a deer stand gun or bow.

This is about finding the animal after the shot.
    Last edited by BRR; 10-11-2009 at 08:17 PM.

tradorion Coots

this is about attention to detail Before During and After the shot....

and knowng when NOT to take the shot

Quote Originally Posted by tradorion View Post
    a number of years ago a newby on a club i know of took his new high-powered rifle and shot at a deer. No score according to him. Another day- same stand- shoot and no score. Finally on his 3rd deer he scores.... and shortly thereafter discovered 2 other dead dead down range from his stand.... it was truly a shock to his mental state that a gunshot deer did not die RIGHT THERE.
    I didn't realize my father in law hunted down your way.

I want to add this as well.

In my case, the mistakes I made was angles. It was VERY hard for me to "SEE" how bad a deer was quartering either to or away.

The more experience the better I think it will be.

Those angles never mattered with a rifle.

The reason I like the bow is b/c deer I ussually would let walk, tear me out the frame with the bow. It just has brought the xcitement back 4 me
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

if you do not recover the deer in enough time to use the meat you should not mount it. i would do an european just to remind me to look harder next time.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I have always been rifle hunter.

It really has not gotten my rocks off to hunt deer. Sure, I get the rush when one walks out. I love watching them in the binocs. I enjoy the rest and solitude that comes with a sit in the stand...

I did pick up the bow last year and when deer did work, it was beyond intense. What a rush. So many factors have to be just right to make a shot.

With a rifle, I am just packing the freezer up with meat. With a bow, I feel like I am truly hunting...and I am proud that I have not drawn back on one yet even though they have been within 15 yards...shit just wasnt right.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

When is someone gonna shaka zulu one?

That would be the total rush.

Everyone that I know who bowhunts says that it is an adrenaline rush. I just have never tried it. I still get my kicks from rifle hunting and have some mastering to do on that subject first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

i respect anyone that challenges themselves, but, remember, the indians lost.
    Never seen a fat indian either.

I Blame myself , seems i lost the 1st one of the year, shit went down hill from there
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I would love to know the number of deer lost by bow in the upstate versus the lower state. Having hunted in both areas I think that the ones in the lowcountry are better bowhunters because the ones that do bowhunt do it because they want to and not because they have to. This tends to lead to more practice time because of love for the sport. The upstate having an archery only season puts so many yahoos in the woods with a bow that have no business being there. I saw way too many people in the upstate while I was there that would put the bow up when muzzloader season came in and would not pick it back up until the day before the next archery season the following year. Just my .02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I have always been rifle hunter.

It really has not gotten my rocks off to hunt deer. Sure, I get the rush when one walks out. I love watching them in the binocs. I enjoy the rest and solitude that comes with a sit in the stand...

I did pick up the bow last year and when deer did work, it was beyond intense. What a rush. So many factors have to be just right to make a shot.

With a rifle, I am just packing the freezer up with meat. With a bow, I feel like I am truly hunting...and I am proud that I have not drawn back on one yet even though they have been within 15 yards...shit just wasnt right.
    Thas sorta sums it for me, also. With the gun, I may as well be shooting a cow in a pasture, I rarely even got excited about seeing a deer anymore. I had gotten to where I hunted deer only because I like to eat venison, and enjoyed planting plots as much as actually hunting deer. Now, with the bow, I hunt deer because I like to hunt them again. I rarely even carry a book on stand anymore. I'm excited to see the deer again, because, like Trad said, that's when the hunt truly begins. The rest is just preperation- scouting, planting, planning, hanging stands for a bow shot, scheming, etc. The first one I killed must have read the script. Everything about that hunt was perfect.

I also enjoy practicing shooting the bow. From the stand, from the deck, on the ground, etc. Consistency is my goal, and I have made great strides. I wonder how many people just pick up a bow and think, no big deal, just like a rifle-sight in and go.

Keep hunting and being patient, Big Brother, the opportunity will present itself soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again. I would love to know the number of deer lost by bow in the upstate versus the lower state. Having hunted in both areas I think that the ones in the lowcountry are better bowhunters because the ones that do bowhunt do it because they want to and not because they have to. This tends to lead to more practice time because of love for the sport. The upstate having an archery only season puts so many yahoos in the woods with a bow that have no business being there. I saw way too many people in the upstate while I was there that would put the bow up when muzzloader season came in and would not pick it back up until the day before the next archery season the following year. Just my .02 worth.
    Not saying this is true for everyone but its also easier when you can watch and wait on the deer to turn for the right shot while he is eating corn.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Thas sorta sums it for me, also. With the gun, I may as well be shooting a cow in a pasture, I rarely even got excited about seeing a deer anymore. I had gotten to where I hunted deer only because I like to eat venison, and enjoyed planting plots as much as actually hunting deer. Now, with the bow, I hunt deer because I like to hunt them again. I rarely even carry a book on stand anymore. I'm excited to see the deer again, because, like Trad said, that's when the hunt truly begins. The rest is just preperation- scouting, planting, planning, hanging stands for a bow shot, scheming, etc.

I also enjoy practicing shooting the bow. From the stand, from the deck, on the ground, etc. Consistency is my goal, and I have made great strides. I wonder how many people just pick up a bow and think, no big deal, just like a rifle-sight in and go.

You just nailed the reason I am bow only this year
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

tradorion Coots

DMP- i tend to disagree with you- having bowhunted deer under a variety of situations i think deer tend to be MORE nervous right on the corn than they are away from it or over a natural food source. Give me acorns or persimmons any day of the week over corn.

REDHEAD- very interesting thought process at least part of which is true- you see a higher percentage of guys without set "bow only" seasons simply doing it for the love
    of the game...

Bowhunter Education should be mandatory.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

tradorion Coots

you can neither legislate or educate some levels of things into people....

but it might help LOL