Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why So Many Lost "Biggest Bucks"???

tradorion Coots

Default Why So Many Lost "Biggest Bucks"???

Boys- I have been hunting deer with a bow for about 16 years now. I have killed less deer than some of you- but i have LOST less deer than quite a few bow hunters too.... 2 in 16 years. One came about year 4 and one came in year 15... Oh- yeah- i lost one hog in that same time frame.

I like to laugh that i am in a slump for not killing a deer with my bow in the last couple years. Partly b/c i have not been able to hunt as much and partly b/c of having "lousy luck" but the single biggest reason that i am in a "no killin slump" is simply this- I let them walk when the shot is not right. Now you can bust my nutz for being holier-than-art thou... that is not my intention but if it makes you feel better for your choices then go ahead.

The key here is NOT that "i am better than you"- most people i shoot with are better shots than i am and many of them are better woodsmen.

The difference is that in CHOOSING to hunt with a bow you are CHOOSING a very deadly weapon but one that has to be applied WITH PRECISION and more importantly WITH RESTRAINT.

If the shot is "not quite right" if the deer is "just a little too far" if the light "is just a little too dark" or the shadows are "just a litte too deep" then LET THE DEER WALK....

What is the value of seeing the biggest buck you ever encountered in the woods run off with an arrow in/through him and you cannot say where you hit him????

Sportin Woodies nailed it on the head when we see yet another "Lost The Biggest Buck of My Bow Hunting Career" thread that this is becoming far to prevalent a theme in the Bowhunting Forum.

If you are not mentally geared to let the biggest buck you have ever seen walk away untouched while you sit quietly with your bow.... then go back to rifle hunting.

EDITOR'S NOTE- this applies to the smallest doe you would sling an arrow at as well...
    Last edited by tradorion; 10-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.

They found most of them...their just gonna drag them out in a couple days when help arrives. LOL

tradorion Coots

LMAO!! TM22 now THAT is funnier than hell in our usual sick twisted way-

Ive noticed the same thing this year. Seems like more deer have been lost so far than brought back home.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

killing a deer and finding it a day later when the meat is bad does not count. that is just as bad a not finding it. if you can find it later than you should be able to find it when you shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    killing a deer and finding it a day later when the meat is bad does not count. that is just as bad a not finding it. if you can find it later than you should be able to find it when you shoot it.

Spoken like a true bowhunter.
    80-20 Genaration

"oh no he didn't"
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

tradorion Coots

oh no he didn't what?? call a spade a spade???

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

The last buck I shot was in 2001 or so best I can recall. When he came rolling by @ 30 yards and stopped in the creek I drew on him. I then let the bow down and watched him walk across the river onto my neighbors place b/c I was in a uncomfortable position to take the shot. It took 3 more mornings and afternoon then i stuck him after a 20 minute sit. Not only was it a phenomenal P&Y, but very rewarding given that I let him walk and put in my due diligence!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Great thread. I have been thinking the same thing, but figured as soon as I chimed in, I would break my slump of having lost only one deer in my 9 years of bow hunting- the first deer I ever released an arrow on. I'm with you- you have to be patient and wait for a good shot. But I think it's important not to wait for the "perfect shot." What I mean is that you should take the first high percentage shot available- not necessarily wait for the perfect, broadside 15 yard shot to come around. If you have a good angle, good light, and it's within your effective range, you need to release as soon as you're comfortable. Deer don't like to give you many opportunities, even when they're in range. Good hunting.
    Carolina Counsel

exactly
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Just wait until duck season... What is the percentage of waterfowl lost each year?

tradorion Coots

TOTALLY AGREE CC... and i may indeed jinx myself...

The biggest things i have been seeing common in the threads has to do with range and light. ESPECIALLY LIGHT- peep or no peep- lighted pins or not- until you have enough bow kills under your belt to sloooowly stretch out your limitations then folks don't need to be pushing the envelope.

I was thinking that competition might have something to do with it also.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

tradorion Coots

i'd wager that less of the deer lost have been to competition teams

True...and have noticed the same. Being argumentative, though, in the efforts to have that photo op, it might make a person let loose when he/she knows he/she shouldnt...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I was thinking that competition might have something to do with it also.
    i was thinking that too...Let's blame it all on quackhead11

i would also like to blame "The Rage"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    i was thinking that too...Let's blame it all on quackhead11

i would also like to blame "The Rage"

Blame it on me........Hell I am one of the ones that "lost" a deer.

I can tell you I am struggling with waiting on the right angle and the "little" things that make such a "big" difference.

Maybe it is b/c I gun hunted soooo long and I am just trying to adjust to everything needing to be there??? With the gun you can fudge a lil.

I can tell yall fudge packers that our lil competition had nothing to do with my screw up.

MAybe I suffer from anxiety a lil bit or something?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Aight damn it now I see the other member of my team lost a deer Sat. night.

Yall quit pickin on us. Dave said he had my back.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.