Thread: Killed first buck with the bow tonight

Default Killed first buck with the bow tonight

I killed my first buck, 100 lbs. cowhorn, with the bow at about 25 yards from my stand. I shot a little higher than I planned. And after gutting the deer and finding my expandable not fully expanded I plan to reinvest into some new broadheads.
    "I'm pretty sure there will be duck-hunting in heaven and I can't wait!" - Gov. Mike Huckabee

Congrats. The first one's the hardest. Concerning the broadhead, are you sure it didn't close back up after the shot? It happens. What kind of head?

Spitfire 75 grain expandables that I got when i got my bow two years ago. The shot was high and got stuck in the opposite shoulder, broadside quartering towards me slightly. To be honest, I do not know what I got that killed him. The arrow did some movement inside the deer because the enterance and exit holes would not have lined up.
    "I'm pretty sure there will be duck-hunting in heaven and I can't wait!" - Gov. Mike Huckabee

awesome man. nothin like the first one.
    \"Go to Know\"

Congrats on your first!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

tradorion Coots

congrats- welcome to the insanity!!

Great job. Sweet dreams tonite.

Muzzy
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!

After looking at some images of the deer anatomy, I would have to say that I hit the deer high in the shoulder hitting the some of the arteries causing large blood lose, not what I intended but it got the job done. Hopefully with a little practice, some new broadheads, and another buck I can get the job done a little better next time.

And now, I am addicted!!!!!!!!! Thou the .270 will still see some action just not as much!!!

tradorion Coots

dead's dead... there is no deader..... sometimes faster sometimes cleaner- but dead is dead....

most prolific blood trail and one of the fastest NON SPINE deaths i ever saw was a femural artery "oooopsie"- if i could repeat that every time i'd say screw a double lung shot....

I have had good luck with the spitfire 100s. Totally molested a buck with a heart shot. Much worse than any 30-06 I have ever seen.

Congrats on the first one! It is a great experience to finally get one stuck, isn't it?

I'm going to stick with fixed blade heads for a while. Being a bit green yet, I figure the less that can possibly go wrong, the better chance I will have to get it right.

Go kill another one.

Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Congrats. Welcome to the brotherhood. Like Switchback said, expandables will close if left inside the deer or when you pull them out of the ground. To me that is the only draw back of an expandable. If it would have been a Muzzy, Magnus, anything fixed, it would have chewed him up like a blender.

nice work. welcome to the site...and bowhunting. forget sniping them with rifles....

i would suggest going up in weight on your heads and considering a heavier arrow, too. muzzy's have always been my fave but if i were to branch out, I would like at the G5s and the slick tricks.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What 2th said. I shoot 125's, but 100's are plenty for whitetails. I'll take KE and penetration over speed any day.

You might try fixed blades if you have the patience to tune. I shoot the Magnus Stinger SS, but any quality BH will get 'er done.
    Carolina Counsel

Congrats.