Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Redleg, who is that in your avatar picture? Pretty great picture.
    Are you serious or are you pullin' my lariat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Anniversario or Centenario 23 yr old rum (neat) has taken the place of bourbon for me. Damn stuff is waaaayyy too easy to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by bohica View Post
    Centenario 23 yr old rum (neat) has taken the place of bourbon for me. Damn stuff is waaaayyy too easy to put down.
    Zacapa is the shit. Imagine how I must feel living where they make that stuff!
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Which is why I said "it is and isn't considered a bourbon", and that would depend on who you are asking, again, subjectively
    i obviously missed this part of your post. I haven't made the move to texas yet, only because I'm still over here. The wife moved in August, and we should be closing on a house in the next few weeks. But if you ever end up out that way, feel free to drop in and we'll have some Gentleman Jack and doves wrapped in bacon and sour cream

Gentleman Jack (my personal favorite)
    you're a good man

Standard Bombay - you're the kind of guy that lays drunks out cold with a pool cue that stick their hands up the skirt of the waitress at the only joint in town.
    and a funny one

TennDan, that's redleg in the picture after he had some Bombay
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quack, Fish likes his dove breasts marinated in zesty italian dressing, then skewered with onion and jalapeño and wrapped in bacon, then grilled.

With respect to my comments about Bombay, hopefully you caught the reference since you are headed to Texas.

With respect to the photo, you aren't far from the truth. Like most college students, I drank to excess. I was operating on my $150 per month ROTC stipend. There was a liquor store on Church Street that offered a discount to Wofford students with valid I.D. that had half gallons of Seagram's gin for about 14 bucks. I'd pitch a good drunk and then go lookin' for a fight. My roommate soon grew tired of my belligerence, and somehow determined that the Seagram's gin was the source of my anger. He bought me a bottle of Tanqueray which had the same intoxicating effects as the Seagrams, but without the orneryness. Then a girl I was dating got the idea to give me a bottle of Bombay because she heard about it in a Robert Earl Keen song. Probably one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received.

i thought it was bacon and sour cream, but eye-talian, jalapeno, onion, and bacon will work too.

sure did catch it. REK is one of my favorites. pretty pumped since my chances to see him in concert just went up about 10-fold with the move to texas.
    have you heard the song "feeling good again"? he talks about standing down on main street, across from Mr. Blues and then walking down a flight of stairs...that's a little bar in Bandera. some of my in-laws live in Bandera. that is one of the coolest bars i've ever been in. all they serve is beer, but you can bring in whatever kind of whiskey you want and they'll keep it behind the bar and pour for you all night.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I know the song well. It is one of my favorites.

I saw REK for the first time at Farm Aid at Williams Brice in '96. I had never heard of him before then. After the concert, I bought CDs for every act that played at the concert. I picked up "#2 Live Dinner" and remembered the performance for "Dreadful Selfish Crime" from the concert. This song probably had the biggest impact on me of all the songs from the concert. I then devoted the rest of my time in college to Keen's music. I saw him in concert 6 times in one 2 week stretch: Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Asheville, Charlotte, and Carrboro. He has remained a staple in my listening habits, but I've expanded my horizons a bit.

My next assignment is grad school, and I was giving some thought to UT in Austin, based on 1) UT has one of the nation's top LatAm studies programs and 2) Austin is arguably the live music capital of the world. Instead, I'm leaning more towards USC, as the thought of 18 months at home sounds pretty good after a year in California followed by the year in Guatemala.

haven't heard "dreadful selfish crime", but i'll have to look it up.

just go ahead and look at A&M. you'll get to study all of the LatAm's you want on top of getting to be an Aggie, just like REK.

Austin is ok, what little time i have spent there, but it's a VERY liberal city. very pretty, but very liberal. the music scene would be mighty nice, but i'll only be a little better than an hour away. speaking of, do you listen to any reckless kelly or randy rogers band?

I visited Austin for 2 days as I headed to Junction to hunt. I hated Austin. Too big. Too weird. Too liberal...

my only input.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

I got started on Reckless Kelly when I was in Iraq in '05. I'd consider myself a fan. I've got all their tunes - good stuff. I have some Randy Rogers Band. "Down and Out" is one of my favorite tunes.

PM me your email address and I will email you the MP3 for Dreadful Selfish Crime.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    I visited Austin for 2 days as I headed to Junction to hunt. I hated Austin. Too big. Too weird. Too liberal...

my only input.
    I spent a year in Monterey, Ca and came out unscathed. Actually, I enjoyed the hell out of my time there. I used to give the gesture to the lesbians on the corners protesting Prop 8 during the elections last year.

If everything works out, we will be buying a house in Cameron and I will commute to the big city for school.

randy rogers just put out another cd, self titled, and it is great. you should try to pick it up

tradorion Coots

DAMN!! REK and good bourbon knowledge all in one thread.... please continue gentlemen...

I have a friend who sits in with him occasionally in TX.... my request for the family for Christmas was an autographed picture that says "Thanks for letting me spend Christmas with your family- REK" He must have a pretty good sense of humor as it was unwrapped shortly after singing Merry Christmas from The Family and Feelin Good Again.

I am pretty partial to The Front Porch Song.

As for my liquor- Makers, Gentleman Jack, Basil, and whatever i manage to mooch from Stripa after fishin for tailin redfish

QA, check your PMs. I need a different email address.

I'm waiting up until 11pm here (midnight central) to see if REK's new one will be available. The web page says Sep. 29 - so TECHNICALLY it should be available for download. If not, I will download tomorrow morning. I've been waiting a long time for a new REK studio album. I was a little disappointed with "What I Really Mean." There are a few good tunes, but overall, it isn't one of my favorites. I'm hoping for something at least as good as "Farm Fresh Onions".

While we are talking music, here is my top 10 most played (as per my iTunes):

1. Grateful Dead: Friend of the Devil
    2. Lynyrd Skynyrd: All I Can Do is Write About It
    3. Cross Canadian Ragweed: Carry You Home
    4. James McMurtry: Fraulein O.
    5. Bruce Robison: My Brother and Me
    6. Grateful Dead: Casey Jones
    7. Matchbox 20: Push
    8. Cross Canadian Ragweed: Alabama
    9. Cory Morrow: Straight to Hell
    10. Jerry Jeff Walker: Hairy Ass Hilbillies

my favorite so far is either "feeling good again" or "the front porch song" for sure

Jameson is the stand by. Love a good single malt. I've been know to put down some Cutty Sark too. All on the rocks or neat.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

QA, check your yahoo.

some good stuff there red

how about some
    Jason Boland: Somwhere Down in Texas
    CCR: Jenny
    Reckless Kelly: Wicked Twisted Road(fantastic song)
    Reckless Kelly: Baby's Got a Whole Lot More
    Charlie Robison: El Cerrito Place
    Charlie Robison: John O' Reily
    Charlie: Anything Might Happen Tonight
    Last edited by quackaddict; 09-28-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Wicked Twisted Road was on my poker playing playlist in Baghdad. John O'Reily was one of my favorites when I went to Kosovo in 2001. "My pockets will be jingling on the day of my return"

Have you heard "American Blood" by Reckless Kelly? It is a very anti-war track, but it is a hell of a tune.