Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite whiskey

how much is that case setting you back there highstrung
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

on ice
    "Dear Success, I hope that you have been preparing for me."
    -T. Bailey 67

Early Times..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    how much is that case setting you back there highstrung
    I sale it for 95 bucks a 750 with a little mark-up put on it. It's amazing how fast that stuff sales. I haven't been able to get any of the years for a couple months now. The end of Sept. was when I was told it was getting in rndc's warehouse. I did drink one bottle of it last year, and it was pretty smooth.

Woodford, Bulleit, and Basil Hayden not in any order.

Scotch man myself...Here's a few favs from the 19 bottles on the bar.

Glenmorangie 10
    Tullibardine 12
    Bunnahabain 12
    Talisker 18
    Macallan 18...

Woodford
    Single Barrel Jack
    Knob Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I sale it for 95 bucks a 750 with a little mark-up put on it. It's amazing how fast that stuff sales. I haven't been able to get any of the years for a couple months now. The end of Sept. was when I was told it was getting in rndc's warehouse. I did drink one bottle of it last year, and it was pretty smooth.
    Sell the old man a bottle next time he's in.

I'd like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Sell the old man a bottle next time he's in.

I'd like to try it.
    I'll try, but you know he likes his scotch.

Crown Special Reserve
    Wild Turkey Honey-on Ice

Default whiskey

Makers Mark

VO

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    i'm sure you are going to come back with your usual here fish, but Jack isn't a bourbon. it's classified as a tennessee whiskey. it's a TN whiskey and not a bourbon because of the charcoal filtering. you're right, though, that it's not a rye, but it's not a bourbon either. the "bourbon" not being on the label has nothing to do with where it's made...it just can't say "kentucky bourbon" unless it's made in KY
    Which is why I said "it is and isn't considered a bourbon", and that would depend on who you are asking, again, subjectively. And what do you mean by "your usual"? I don't spend time sniping guys who haven't proven themselves complete assholes, so you'll have no trouble coming from me.

The fact is, Jack tastes like bourbon, even to the most sensative pallet. The most experience sommelier in the world couldn't tell the difference between a Kentucky bourbon and a Tenessee sour mash. It is however, understood, by me anyways, that Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon, but indeed a sour mash, like bourbons. And thein lies the rub. All bourbon whiskeys are sour mash, but not all sour mash whiskeys are bourbon.

Perhaps sometime when I'm back in SC, we can get together an have a drink. That is, if you haven't done up and moved to Texas.
    Last edited by Fish; 09-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Jim Beam
    Vodka

Bernheim Wheat is a real good one that many haven't tried......neat please.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Clear likker is for wimmin and broke wristed fellas.

I have two in my cabinet.

One is a jar of Kentucky spring water, charred.

The other is a bottle of Woodford.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Which is why I said "it is and isn't considered a bourbon", and that would depend on who you are asking, again, subjectively. And what do you mean by "your usual"? I don't spend time sniping guys who haven't proven themselves complete assholes, so you'll have no trouble coming from me.

The fact is, Jack tastes like bourbon, even to the most sensative pallet. The most experience sommelier in the world couldn't tell the difference between a Kentucky bourbon and a Tenessee sour mash. It is however, understood, by me anyways, that Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon, but indeed a sour mash, like bourbons. And thein lies the rub. All bourbon whiskeys are sour mash, but not all sour mash whiskeys are bourbon.

Perhaps sometime when I'm back in SC, we can get together an have a drink. That is, if you haven't done up and moved to Texas.
    Whiskeys with at least 51% corn in the mash are considered bourbons. Jack Daniel's, by this definition, is a bourbon. However it is subjected to the charcoal mellowing process (also known as the ******* County Process) prior to aging. This process is what defines a whiskey as a Tennessee whiskey. The only other whiskey that carries this distinction is George Dickel. Both distilleries were once located in ******* County, TN before county lines were redrawn.

Gentleman Jack (my personal favorite) is charcoal mellowed again after aging before bottling.

My personal opinion is that the charcoal mellowing imparts a hint of maple to the whiskey which, to me at least, is discernible, especially in the case of Gentleman Jack. Maybe it is the fact that the Jack Daniel's distillery is one of the most impressive places I have visited (and I've been halfway around the world and to parts of Georgia).

******* is the president, not General *******.
    Last edited by Redleg; 09-28-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

i know ZERO about whiskey. keep on.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Clear likker is for wimmin and broke wristed fellas.

No Sir. There is nothing wrong with the standard Bombay Gin.

Bombay Sapphire - you're probably a homo.

Standard Bombay - you're the kind of guy that lays drunks out cold with a pool cue that stick their hands up the skirt of the waitress at the only joint in town.
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

Redleg, who is that in your avatar picture? Pretty great picture.