Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tracking Q & A

Default tracking Q & A

OK. Let's talk about what to do AFTER the shot.

IMHO, the first question I want answered is WHERE was the deer hit. To me, every decision you make is based on the answer to that question. Most people, myself included, want to start tracking RFN.

well, rifle hunters, this aint rifle hunting.

So, quartering away? hit high? low? steep? etc.... you gotta know the answers.

so, let's pick on buckpro just a wee bit while he's down. If its a steep shot, i will be you didnt get both lungs. G-belly just LOVES that close shot.

personally, i hate that angle but maybe its based on my more intimate knowledge of anatomy (just ask your wife.) I would wait for that deer to get farther away so i could picture both lungs and maybe even hit them.

so, let's tell stories (right or wrong) and things any of you may have learned along the way....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

rage get yo game gaurantee
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

i have shot one with the bow. No tracking needed. Pulled the shot. Hit the back bone went down hit the lung. Droped on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    rage get yo game gaurantee
    Fuck Rage and Walmart.............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Best advice ever given (after I could have really used it): When in doubt, back out! They can't get any "deader", but you sure as heck can push them into the next county never to be seen (or found) again.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Fuck Rage and Walmart.............

That was a joke fo sho, I dont care for them either. Not built for penetration.

In all seriousness I usually walk to the impact spot.(After 30 or so) I judge from the blood where they stood whether to continue or back out.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Close shots I like to let the deer get facing directly away and split the shoulders...no tracking involved.

good advice, girl.

the rest of the yahoos are still talking about broadheads that suck.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I like this topic.

Tip/story. never shoot in the chest. 1st year bow huntin i shot a doe in the chest, exited out her gut. ran 100 yards and dropped. no blood cuz her guts clogged the exit hole. Learned that lesson.

if i dont see it fall, i walk to the spot last seen, walk a thirty yard area, and if there is blood everywere and confident on the shot, i proceed, if i am missing one of those two, i back out. Like last night, felt confident but no blood, i back out.
    Last edited by buckpro; 09-08-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

"When in doubt back out"......Great and solid info......If you bump a deer that has layed up your chances of recovery have went from 90% to 10% just that quick.........if he lays he WILL die its just a matter of time and hopefully nothing jumps him..........On Gutshot's at least give 6 hrs..........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 09-08-2009 at 02:35 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Only shot one doe. Was shooting for the neck (only shot available cause they were getting ready to bolt) and pulled it and shot her under the ear. Only went about 30.

This should be a good topic. I have one bow stand that is about 35' above corn pile. Only 17-25 yards from stand. That might make it steep...More thoughts.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Another thing I've seen happen several times is that sometimes deer will double back. That is, if you're tracking one, and the blood stops, back up and see if you see any other blood trails forking off the original one. For example, three years ago, I shot a giant bodied (198 lb) small racked 6 point at 12 yards. Saw the shot and knew it was double lung. We started trailing and hit a thicket after about 25 yards. We started working through the thicket on our hands and knees, and the blood abruptly ended. My nephew, who was coming along behind us, found a second blood trail about 15 yards before we got to where the original trail ended. That buck got into where it was too thick and doubled back some. I've had something similar happen two other occasions.

My first and only shot with the bow was at a doe broadside at 15 yards. I shot low and were it not for the smack of the arrow, I might have thought that I missed. She ran about 20 yards, and then started walking. I was on a firebreak between a stand of pines and a hardwood bottom, and it quickly got dark. I sat in the stand for at least 45 minutes that seemed like an eternity, listening to her walk around in circles. I climbed down when I didn't hear her walking anymore and walked to the house to get a better flashlight and some help.
    We went back to the firebreak and found the arrow covered in blood and white hair. The blood trail was easy enough to follow. We found several "matching" puddles where she had laid down, bled out both sides, and then gotten up continued on. She literally walked around in circles as she crossed the finger of hardwoods. We followed the trail to a cotton field, and the blood disappeared. 4 of us looked for 2 hours, but found not speck one of blood in the cotton field. I've not taken another shot at a deer with the bow since.
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

thats the downside to bow hunting.....looking for blood after watching a shot deer run off, as opposed to watching a deer eat the dirt after a rifle shot.

i have walked up on 2 still alive after finding plenty of blood and one was given more than enough time to die.

protcol for me SHOULD be: look at spot of shot, go to truck and drink a few beers, roll a drum, drink another beer, then go look. that should eat up an hour and a half or two, and the deer should be dead by then.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

For high angle shots- shoot slick tricks

For low angle shots- shoot slick tricks

For level shots- shoot slick tricks

Quartering away-shoot slick tricks

Broadside- shoot slick tricks

Quartering toward or facing you- wait for one of the above and then, shoot slick tricks

Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    For high angle shots- shoot slick tricks

For low angle shots- shhot slick tricks

For level shots- shoot slick tricks

hell yeah.

on another note, i wouldn't carry a rifle. shotgun is best.

example number one, buddy shot a big buck, go to tracking, see eyes, he says it him, all i got is eyes and his horns, he says shoot. moral of the story, you can mount a deer with a fugged up nose and a 3 inch hole out the back of its head. he actually took out that deers front legs.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

No tracking needed ever=the next deer you shoot out the bow stand shoot it with a 12 guage 3 inch 00 buck! At 20 or 30 yards no tracking necessary!

I have shot only two deer with a bow. Both covered at least 80 yards before dyin'. The same factor applied in both instances...

Deer #1 was hit from 20 yards, not too steep of an angle, but, due to operator error (shooting instinctive at that point in my life), I hit him a little more than half way up the chest. Clean exit, heard the arrow hit the gravel of a road behind the deer... found the arrow (bloody, good red lung blood). There was only one way the deer could go - I followed that path, and found a SPECK of blood 20 yards from where the deer was hit. The trail was VERY sparse for the first 50-60 yards. It finally started picking up, and the deer was found after about a 100 yard track. Both lungs were punched... it just took a while for the chest cavity to fill with blood to the point where they started venting blood out of the entrance/exit holes. It really doesn't take THAT long, but figure a deer can cover an ass of ground in a few seconds. Was using Thunderhead 125's - it was a long time ago.

Deer #2 - last year - shot at a steeper angle. I was 20 feet up and she was 10 yards away. Held too high (used the 20 yard pin - oops) and hit her high. She ran off about 60 yards, stood a second, then ran out of eyesight... then I hear CRASH. Woo hoo.

Took me an hour to find her. Again, good blood on the arrow, then almost nothing for 60 yards. Then, it was like someone turned on a hose.

To Me, the moral is to hit 'em in the lower half of the chest. A STEEP angle shot may, as 2th said, only hit one lung, but you may get a good exit low in the chest cavity and quicker blood to trail.

How soon to trail? I wait at least 30 minutes unless I see it die and it's obviously DRT. With rifle OR bow, if I get dark red blood (liver), and no stomach contents/watery stuff, I wait 30 at least... but it will usually be dead. If I find stomach contents, I will wait a couple of hours. At least. Especially if it's cool/cold.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

unsure shots back out for a few hrs..

that buck i shot i knew i made a good hit..he was dead before i got out the woods but i gave him an hour..

stuck a doe one afternoon one lung, gave her 3-4 hrs drove to get the dog from dchester to the ville got food drink a beer and still bumped her twice..

atleast give the deer 30-45 mins

Shoot Muzzy's that's all ya need to know.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.