Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conservation Efforts

Roost/rest areas that never get hunted....or fished,boated,or any other kind of disturbance.
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I'm not what any of you would consider to be a "duck hunter" but in my opinion DB68 nailed it.

There will come a point in time where the FF will saturate the nesting grounds with our nest and at that point it will become maintain and replace a few a year.

In my opinion providing loafing/rest/food grounds should be next on the list. Otherwise all those ducks we're hatching up North will continue to go where the food is.

And those fellas that hunt in those states haven't sent us one thank you note yet.

And those fellas that hunt in those states haven't sent us one thank you note yet.
    i wouldn't expect too much gren
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I believe it is food above all else.

Anything else and we will continue to guilt ourselves into legislating less days, smaller limits, and other such crap.

With that said, it is the public hunter who is SC's ducks worst enemy...followed by a close second as the tamie breeders and "hunters". Pimps and prostitutes.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BigBrother,

Explain the part about the public duck hunter. Not disagreeing with you, just want to know your line of reasoning.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Case in point, our teal season.

Shooting hours begin at sunrise, not 30 minutes prior like regular season.

Care to guess why?

I will save you the trouble. It is because the average SC public hunter, (and likely many impoundment hunters) can not identify ducks in flight and kill too many other ducks as collateral damage.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    MattB, NC gets the shit shot out of it too.

The difference is that NC feeds the shit out of the ducks. Ever heard of bait stations?

**edit**

More factors to consider in NC:

Blinds are owned...minimum distance from hunting a blind...tons of privately held places that manage for ducks...and, they are in between us and the migration.

The duck hunting is far from superb there...it is a different ball game entirely.

I would have to disagree. We may or may not be talking about the same areas, but where I hunt, sure there are days when the birds are few and far between, but for the most part, these are the warm days and days they are not hunting impoundments. The majority of the days I venture out, however, are superb, with a wide variety of birds to boot: Mallards, pintails, ringers, teal, woodies, all on both open and small water. (disclaimer: the waters I hunt are a few miles walk in)

As for the blinds, that is on the coast. In the middle of the state, there are not many private blinds on public water. The gamelands, for example, are first come.
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.

Other than around private land in Greenville NC, I have no experience hunting public NC inland. My experience and knowledge centers around the coast...

ok, thanks.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1