Thread: Eurasion Doves

Default Eurasion Doves

I have see many of these Doves over the years but only 'in town', particularly near the coast. I had never seen them on a dove field or even anywhere where I Dove hunt (Berk & Claredon Co).

But several showed up yesterday afternoon. Obviously larger size, light gray color and square-tail profile in flight. On the first pass, what initially threw me of was the slow wing beat, I was not sure if they were pidgeons or ?. Slower flight pattern plus they did not cut & juke nearly as much as our Doves.

We were fortunate to bag 6 total. Good looking markings & distinctive collar. This was the first opp for me to see / shoot these Doves.

I will see how they fare tonight as compared to our Doves.

Several folks along the coast have reported shooting these Doves on previous seasons. Do ya'll see many of these Doves in the fields?

I've never seen one in a field up here (Anderson County), but I have seen a couple in passing. I will say that Savannah is eat up with 'em.

we had some on our field about a week ago, Laurens County. We killed a few last year, they acted so dumb, we shot one then the others would keep coming back until we killed them all.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

I've seen them a lot around the coast..only seen one round here though.

Back when we had our own field we killed a few here in Greenwood.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I've been seeing them in town for several years now. First ones I saw were a pair in the gravel drive picking grit at Pulliam's Trucking in South Greenwood. This was probably 3 or 4 years ago.

Saw one sitting with several mourning doves on the telephone wires at Quackhead's grandaddy's corn patch this past summer. That's about a mile from my house. Sitting beside a mourning dove the things look like pigeons.

We saw a bunch of them in town out in Mississippi on that ill fated trip a few years ago.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 09-06-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

We had a pair in my neighborhood last week. I was out of food at the feeder - I imagine that, when I recharge the feeder, they will be around.

Lexington in-town has a colony of them.

I was talking to a retired DNR biologist last week. He said they prefer urban settings.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I killed one yesterday in Bishopville. Decoyed like a teal to the mojo.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”