Thread: Sept-Oct results....

Default Sept-Oct results....

So, I'm curious how everyone did the 1st spit.
    Not on an individual level, but your field results.
    All the fields I hunt in the Low Country had an excellent season but I heard less than favorable results from other areas of the state.

My field....
    Hampton Co.
    3 hunts
    49 guns
    531 birds in the bag
    10.84 birds/gun
    1st two hunts were 12 bird bags,3 rd was 15 birds
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Piss poor hunting in Orangeburg county compared to the past 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Piss poor hunting in Orangeburg county compared to the past 15 years.
    Same thing for us. Fields that have historically been good, had nothing. There are certainly more fields around but I think pressure overall is up.
    cut\'em

Sorry- I don't have actual stats, but our field in Anderson County went from very good to very poor quickly. Never picked up new birds.
    1st weekend- 15 hunters and mostly limits
    2nd weekend- 14 hunters and 3-4 limits with most in the 5-8 range
    3rd weekend- 14 hunters and no limits with mostly 3-5 birds
    4th weekend- not worth mentioning; next to no birds
    Carolina Counsel

i killed more than 5 out of 50
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Don't have the actual stats but fields were clean and had a lot of food in fields that are historically great. Hunting was ok overall, but definitely did not have doves like we had last year or years past. Some people on the coast seemed to have an above average year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

My field we had 4 hunts early season. Don't have total numbers of birds or hunters but we usually shoot 5-8 guns. 3 afternoon hunts where everyone should have limited if they did not. We shoot 12 birds and stop around 5ish. We shot last Saturday AM and the birds didn't show up to feed in the rain but were in the field that afternoon. Other fields I hunted: one had 3 hunts and limits each time while another field that is usually superb, had 2 hunts only. After opening weekend's first shoot, the birds didn't show back up. But recently there are also 3 other known dove fields within just a few miles of it. One thing that we did in 2 fields over the summer was add fake power lines. That seem to really help as the birds will come into the field and immediately land on the wire, instead of pitching up in a tree on the edge and then coming into the field.

5 acre field in Union county
    Plenty of birds for the first three weeks. We hunted twice and those that did not limit should have.
    Lots of food left. Will be interested to see if we get some late season birds.

Hunted a field in Fairfield county 9/22 that was an absolute barn burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't hunt but I don't seem to see as many doves as I used to. I still see a good many Eurasian Collared doves in town.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Our field is usually pretty strong the first season. Has been like that for 7 or 8 years. I was really stoked about this year. We have the most food and the cleanest field we’ve ever had and after the first hunt I was embarrassed for anyone to show up to hunt. We had a lot of birds several days before the storm. After that, they disappeared and never showed back up.
    Anyone that doesn’t plant and prepare a dove field can’t appreciate the time, money and work it takes to have a successful field. When you do all of that and you have mediocre hunts at best, it’s very disappointing.

The storm moved most birds from one field. Two shoots below average.

The other which is 20 miles away was full limits 4 straight weeks.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Fewer birds the past 2-3 years. Northern Anderson county.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Our field is usually pretty strong the first season. Has been like that for 7 or 8 years. I was really stoked about this year. We have the most food and the cleanest field we’ve ever had and after the first hunt I was embarrassed for anyone to show up to hunt. We had a lot of birds several days before the storm. After that, they disappeared and never showed back up.
    Anyone that doesn’t plant and prepare a dove field can’t appreciate the time, money and work it takes to have a successful field. When you do all of that and you have mediocre hunts at best, it’s very disappointing.
    It's what keeps you planting year after year!
    A few years ago (will have to look back at records to be exact), I had 1,000 bird seasons.
    It's been sub-par in comparison until this season.
    Hopefully it finishes strong!
    I think weather events move birds locally and they don't move back possibly because there are so many fields and available food, but that's just my observation.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I guess I am going to have to be like BART and get a PM from someone.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

My area was strong.... I hunted 11-12 times and limited (mostly 12 bird limits) all but one hunt.
    I know of other productive LC fields that fell short after the first week.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 10-12-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Our fields were really good until the storm came through and the temps dropped a little. Trying to remember think it happened the 3rd week of sept. Before that it was pretty much all limits first 6 or 7 hunts, after that not too much around