Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: it worked out exactly like i had planned

Default it worked out exactly like i had planned

umm....except for one thing.

So...i got some game cam pics of a nice deer on the edge of a bean field. Oddly enough, I have put the camera on the same tree for many years. Seems there is a group of bachelor bucks that no one ever seems to see or kill after the first couple weeks of the season. Each year there's a different keeper. I will post a pic of this guy when i get a chance...

anyway, I had just dropped off some yahoos in other stands and was hustling to get to my lock on. I decided not to even try to hunt the beans and hung my stand literally IN the creek...about 400 yards from the camera. gotta get a little wet to get into it, but you can dip and spit in the creek and that's just plain fun. Got up in the stand and got settled. It was about 6am. plenty dark in the woods but i could tell another dawn was coming. I looked over to my left and saw this ghostly apparition coming thru the swamp. About all i could make out was the white patches under the arms. The deer-shaped blob came to within 15 steps of the base of my tree and stood still. I got the feeling it had antlers so i eased the binocs up and focused in. All i could see was this 9 inch brow tine and immediately recognized the deer as the one i was after. I couldn't help but smile. Here i was a few minutes before the official start of the season and my hunch had paid off. I had a feeling he was coming down the bluff in this area and damn if he wasnt standing in bow range. Its not like i was waiting for "legal" but it was dark enough that i wasnt about to take this shot as the deer was quartering to me.

so, i got my release on and just waited for him to turn a little when i caught a glimpse of another deer a bit further up the hill. I was worried that the second deer was gonna get out in front of me and wind me, but i kept my eye on the deer I wanted. Next thing I know, I hear a little *stomp* and the big buck bounds 15 yards farther away and stands there. I think the other buck winded me (?) or just didnt like something but i am right certain they didnt see me in this spot...no way. well, I drew back thinking this might be my last chance at him. I was judging the distance and waiting for him to turn a little when he flicked his tail and started meandering off away from me....33 steps....then 35....40...and he disappears from the direction he came from, never to be seen again.

It was over in less than 2 minutes. I had him at 15 steps and figured there was no way in hell he was getting away from me. I KNEW i had him, but boy was I wrong. I will be back....

been bow hunting for quite some time now and the thing that pisses me off the most is that you dont get many chances at big bucks like that...and I wonder if I will get another look at him before november....

damn him.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

tradorion Coots

that is exactly what makes it so good and you know it....

Keep on your hunch- he'll be back there.

If you don't get him- play the next odd hunch and go where others don't and find him again 2fer... I gotz faith in ya.

Thats why you carry a 44 as a side arm and hammer him. JK He will be back. Just leave him alone for a bit and get back after him.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

tradorion Coots

DAMNIT- I'da shat myself and never been able to draw the bow LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tradorion View Post
    DAMNIT- I'da shat myself and never been able to draw the bow LOL

What he said.

I'd a had to have a couple of these to calm my nerves.

Makes ya feel good don't it..........way to play the hunch......breaking a normal routine or something off the wall will put you on them everytime.....

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

That, my friend, is one helluva buck. Good luck getting him

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    33 steps....then 35....40...and he disappears from the direction he came from, never to be seen again
    shit
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Yah......he woulda got ninja'd.......

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

good story! He will be back, but the second time you need to be ready. Will not get a third until November.

He'll be back.

Good on ya for not sling'n one......many would not have been able to resist that temptation. Means you are the real deal in my book.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Damn nice deer. I have said on many occasions I wouldnt mount a deer head, but if I gigged that'un, I might have to make an exception.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

He will be a good mount for one of your guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

awesome buck toofer 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

i aint the real deal. still pissed at myself for not shooting him....

but the SOB was in the wheelhouse. I was already smiling, knowing he was getting ready to die. I just couldn't believe that the deer i was after was actually standing exactly where i wanted him to having never hunted in there before.

had it been a little brighter in there...or had he been turned a little....

hell, i just want him dead now.

, i just want him dead now.
    Que the white whale...had a turkey or two like that...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Stay on him - he'll be back.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

2th do yall have different standards for killin while hunting with sticks and string?
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.