Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dove recipes

Default Dove recipes

Dove recipes

Lets hear em. For years all ive done is wrap them in bacon and grill. Will add some cajun creole seasoning from time to time but may try smoking some this year.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

same but marinate them in Italian dressing first

filet and lightly fry the nuggets.
    fry whole
    bacon wrap and grill
    or just grill.
    hard to screw up a dove unless you over cook it.

Four hour soak in Jack daniels, brown sugar and fresh rosemary. thread on kabob style with green peppers and canned water chestnuts. Grill until rare to mledium rare, no more.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

tradorion Coots

This is a "VERY IN-EXACT, To Taste" recipe

4 big cans of Swanson 2 chicken/2 beef or 3 chicken 1 beef broth
    12-24 dove breasts
    big pot
    grits
    biscuits

bring broth to boil in pot- add dove breasts- when they are done scoop them out. Add enough water to bring it back to the original level of 4 cans in pot. You can add cream etc if you like your grits that way. Add grits.

When breasts are cool enough strip meat off bone and shred (i ALWAYS burn my friggin fingers on this part- yeah, i know- stupid.)

Add meat back in to grits, large dose of butter, salt and pepper. Biscuits.

Looks like something the dog ate and yakked back up when done but it never fails to get ALLLLL GONE when we cook it.

that recipe was so good it had to be told twice.

wrap in bacon and grill but let it soak in steak tenderizer or italian dressing over night.

lil bit of pepper jack or cream cheese maybe even a jalepeno in there somewhere is always good. if you use too much bacon everything tastes like bacon. if you dont like the taste of a dove, duck, etc then gimme the birds and ill give you a pound of bacon to munch on.

I've cooked them similar to Trad, but we actually picked and cooked the entire bird after a friend of the family said that was how his mother used to cook them back in the day. It was fantastic. A lot of work, but worth it.

Filet the meat off the breasts, dust with flour, and just barely brown them over medium heat in a skillet (in butter). All you want to do is "seal" the meat.

Layer with onions and mushrooms in a casserole.

Cover with sour cream, dust the whole casserole with black pepper.

Into the oven, COVERED, at 350" for 45 minutes or so.

Serve over rice.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 08-17-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Very simply put....Doves, secret gravy, grits, biscuits. Maybe one of my favorite dishes period!

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    Four hour soak in Jack daniels, brown sugar and fresh rosemary. thread on kabob style with green peppers and canned water chestnuts. Grill until rare to mledium rare, no more.

Pardon me...but do you have any Grey Poupon? Sounds fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Very simply put....Doves, secret gravy, grits, biscuits. Maybe one of my favorite dishes period!

Aw dang...now you are talking. Collards go pretty good with that too....if it's not for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Pardon me...but do you have any Grey Poupon? Sounds fancy.
    Now your talking. Mix Grey poupon, honey and Cayene pepper. Brush on boneless dove breasts and grill to medium rare.

also

Filet dove breasts. place a slice of pickeld Jalapeno on one side, a slice of water chestnut on the other side. Wrap with just enough bacon to go around once. secure with a toothpick and grill.

OH yeah, serve with a lightly chilled bottle of Sauvingon Blanc (hows that for fancy?)
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

-Filet the breasts
    -Salt and pepper
    -skewer them
    -melt a stick of real butter (no margerine bullshit) with a shot or two of your favorite burbon and a generous amount of your favorite seasoning (cavender's for me).
    -Baste often while grilling to medium rare.

OR

cook them country style like you would cubed stake. Put them into your gravy and serve with rice or grits. (Bone in)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Also I have Fee-layed, Saw-tayed and dumped into a pan of my Mamma's corn bread dressing mix and then baked it.

I wouldn't overlook a little crock pot experiment with some Q sauce either.

Pick and gut the birds. Soak in milk for a few hours. Dip in egg wash and then in a 50/50 mix of fine corn meal and flour with salt and pepper. Then fry them just like chicken.

I love this recipe. There's nothing better than a good ole fried dove wing...or maybe the dove's knees. Seriously, what are we missing out on by not saving the whole bird?

Y'all must not kill many birds. If you did, you wouldn't have time to pick em.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I was gonna suggest bacon/grill and thats it...

Then I read Trad's thread...damn. I will humbly bow out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I love this recipe. There's nothing better than a good ole fried dove wing...or maybe the dove's knees. Seriously, what are we missing out on by not saving the whole bird?

Y'all must not kill many birds. If you did, you wouldn't have time to pick em.

I don't give a shit if you're lazy, but don't get down on someone who isn't.