Thread: Question for Trad.

Default Question for Trad.

A fellow was asking me the other day about a dove field located next to his pasture where he has horses. He feeds his horses sweet feed and hay daily and he was scared it would get him in trouble with his dove field which is on the other side of the fence. Is he safe or could he get charged for baiting?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I know this is for trad but I've crossed this bridge once or and I think.........as long as the feed is in a feeding barrel, pan, trough, etc. then it is ok. I think the issue comes in when you dump it on the ground BUT I could be wrong.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Natural AG practice. He is perfectly legal.

He is legal even if some grain is on the ground, spillage is normal.

There is a loophole here that I KNOW you can get away with more than you should.

But he should be fine.
    Last edited by quack head 11; 08-14-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Which I think there are all kinda BS in these rules.

Ya supposed to use "normal Ag practices" but they allow you to manipulate a field any kind of way except for adding grain.

You canhave a corn patch and run the heads through a chipper/shredder and be perfectly legal.

I dont know about yall but I aint nevr met a farmer that would chip and shred all his profit on the ground????

The same ones plant corn and then flood the field, got to be a "normal ag practice". Its all BS legal loophole BS by legal lobyist and politcians, BS. Obama will fixit with more change one day...ALL HAIL OBAMA!!!!

quack..I agree. Also, I don't understand how u can allow one person who has the means & time to grow a crop and then chip, shred, or whatever to get the seed on the ground. Then don't allow the person who does not have the means or time to buy seed to put out. Limits are there to regulate the harvest. It does not matter if u have 12 or 12,000 birds.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Limits are there to regulate the harvest. It does not matter if u have 12 or 12,000 birds.

DING DING DING We have a winner. Absolutely right. Dont forget about the 3 shell limit also.

you can shoot doves sitting on top of a silage pit or beside a feed bunk ifn you want to. Normal Ag practice as stated

you guys have fun beating this horse(it died a LONG time ago)
    Last edited by quackaddict; 08-14-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Why are y'all answering for Trad!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I dont know about yall but I aint nevr met a farmer that would chip and shred all his profit on the ground????
    I do...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I do...

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    quack..I agree. Also, I don't understand how u can allow one person who has the means & time to grow a crop and then chip, shred, or whatever to get the seed on the ground. Then don't allow the person who does not have the means or time to buy seed to put out. Limits are there to regulate the harvest. It does not matter if u have 12 or 12,000 birds.
    Thank you. I don't have the means (equipment or money) to plant a high dollar, souped up dove field, so I get to sit at home. The regulations keep many people out of the field. (I know, I could go to a public field, but I'd rather jump off a cliff) Limits are there for a reason.

Also, doves have an EXTREMELY high natural mortality rate, so upwards of 90% of them don't survive until the next season anyway.

i'm telling you...go find a farmer that feeds his cows at a bunk(be it pellets or silage) and ask him if you can shoot doves there. i GA-raun-tee that you will have plenty of birds to shoot
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

tradorion Coots

Well its already answered so just make sure i know when/where to come shoot!

we have a shit load of doves in one of our feedlots out here plus all the birds the flock to our barley and alfalfa fields after they get cut (haying barley is leaves a lot of grain on the ground but makes great feed for cattle) but unfortunately the boss man says they all seem to disappear around the 1st when our season opens (usually have a good frost before Sept 1). now if I could just take advantage of the normal ag practices
    Last edited by Southernduck; 08-18-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    we have a shit load of doves in one of our feedlots out here plus all the birds the flock to our barley and alfalfa fields after they get cut (haying barley is leaves a lot of grain on the ground but makes great feed for cattle) but unfortunately the boss man says they all seem to disappear around the 1st when our season opens (usually have a good frost before Sept 1). now if I could just take advantage of the normal ag practices

Don't worry SD, wait until the Mallards show up! They ought to be like pigeons up there. I've seen thousands around a feed lot in Montana. I just didn't have the nerve to shoot 'em, it didn't seem right. Knowing what I know now, I'd have wacked 'em.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

tradorion Coots

"Normal Ag Practices" as defined for ducks and doves are a WORLD APART...

It is considered acceptable to manipulate crops for doves but NOT for ducks- I am betting the feed lot rule would NOT apply to ducks like it does for doves either.

that would be interesting to know trad...you should look it up for us

question though. if the geese/ducks are there to eat through the cow shit and are nowhere near the bunks/et. al, would it be considered baiting? cows can't help but shit