Thread: Sesame for doves

Default Sesame for doves

Any of ya'll ever planted sesame for doves? I bought some seed this year but never was able to plant it.....didn't hear about it until too late and then had problems finding the seed. Wondering what pre emerge I can use with it (next year of course) think I can use Treflan but wondering if anybody else is planting what they are using?? All I could find on the Inet wasn't as detailed as I needed it to be.
    "Some people ask why men go hunting. They must be the kind of people who seldom get far from the highway." - Gordon MacQuarrie

We had our dove club farmer plant benne a few years ago. Came up fine, got good looking seed pods. He mis-identified it as a weed and burned it when he sprayed the sunflowers. So we will never know. The handful I scattered on a prepped spot in my yard came up, and put out good seed. It's supposed to be quality late season dove chow.

Real fine seeds, planting it is supposed to be a challenge.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

It is the bomb. We planted some up in Edgefield and the doves were thick as flies on it.

There's a whole Get in the Game show on planting Benne.

It's pretty easy and the deer won't tear into it like sunflowers.
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Benne is the shiz.

We planted a bunch of strips on our dove fields this year in GA. I will get some photos and post them. The doves love it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

They had benne planted at the Webb Center several years ago when I got drawn for the quail hunt and that's where the birds wanted to be.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by DUCKTALKR View Post
    Sesame for doves
    Dang! You wanna kill doves or make hamburger buns?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I thought he had a recipe for doves!!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Only one bad thing about planting sesame.......

You gotta buy a lot of Big Macs to get enuf seeds to plant an acre
    Originally Posted by Rubberhead*
    I'm sure our loving God gave dogs short lifespans so we can get a glimpse of the joy and sorrow that our own lives bring to Him.

HRCH Riptide's Hydrophilic Hammertime (HYDRO)

Quote Originally Posted by ECOPREDATOR View Post
    It is the bomb. We planted some up in Edgefield and the doves were thick as flies on it.

There's a whole Get in the Game show on planting Benne.

It's pretty easy and the deer won't tear into it like sunflowers.
    Was that the one where they had that crazy ass propane canon thingy??? Tater Tot was telling me about watching some show about planting some kinda shit and they brought out the damn canon because deer were eating whatever the hell they were planting. I was thinking it was sesame he was telling me about.
    Last edited by Tater; 08-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.