Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differance in 40 & 50 Yamaha

Default Differance in 40 & 50 Yamaha

Whats the differance in the 40 & 50 2-stroke, don't they have the same powerhead?
    As The Great Kernel Sanders Once Said,"I'm Too Drunk To Taste This Chicken"

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...home/home.aspx

should tell you everything you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Based on cudexter's link there is no 40hp 2 stroke.

I do know that on my 40 merc 2 stroke it is the same power head as the 50 and 60
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

i know about the mercs powerhead, my firend was telling me the other day, wish yammys were like that.

link only shows the 50 hp
    Last edited by High Tide Dude; 07-20-2009 at 12:57 PM.

they must not make a 40 yama anymore. i'm not sure.

but that site will tell you information from the source, rather than farmer joe.
    Dexter GETS IT!

it gos from 25 in the portables and then the midrange is 50, 70, 90. I guess with the new EPA regulations they are limiting everything and slowly phasing out the 2 strokes. Some lakes in Mexifornia are 4 stroke only, wonder how long before it is that way here in South Kakalaki?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

i was talking to the owner of pawleys island marine about a month ago, he said 2010 was the last year they were making yammy 2 strokes

They just opened Pawleys Marine about three weeks ago didnt they?

no, its been ahwile

When I bought my 50 last year was told they didn't make a 40 2 stroke anymore.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I have owned a couple of 2 stroke Yamaha 40's and a couple of 50's. Some on identical High Tide 1503 hulls. Minor carb and exhaust tuner changes are about it. IMO-you can't feel any real difference. The overall performance differences are minor at best. Main difference is the 50 is the only one you can now buy new. I have also heard if you want a new Yamaha 2 stroke you need to get one soon. I have a 100% stock 2001 Yamaha 40 now. Again imo- if the 40 does not do it for you the 50 might not either.

I would take a Yamaha over a Merc anyday but the 40 Merc is a strong motor. If you want the strongest 2 stroke 40 a Merc might be the one to look at. It is very easy to make almost 60hp with a merc 40. I would not waste my time trying to get more hp out of a 40/50 yamaha. The yamaha 40/50's are great motors just not the strongest in the class.
    Last edited by DVR; 07-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks DVR, i have a 40 yammy, was thinking about putting 50 carbs on it, but it sounds like its not much a differance.

Quote Originally Posted by High Tide Dude View Post
    Thanks DVR, i have a 40 yammy, was thinking about putting 50 carbs on it, but it sounds like its not much a differance.
    if you do the carbs it won't make any difference unless you open up the exhaust. to do that you have to do some pretty major parts removal. You might gain a little but not worth the time, effort, expense imo. If you run a 40 on a 1503 and you are not happy- you need to find a 60/70 yamaha 2 stroke. that makes a huge difference. I liked my 1503/60 combo. I am sure there is someone hoping to go from a 25 to a 40 out there now.

the info I have stated concerns a boat/motor that you can use for all purposes. I know some guys with screaming yamaha 40's but they are far from stock (major mods, for racing only). they would never consider a HT hull (way too heavy).

the 50 has bigger carbs and a bigger exhaust tuner, than the 40. The power heads are identical. you can make alot of power out of a 40. plus they are pretty lightweight. I had a 40 with , 70 carbs, power reeds, and a 50 exhaust tuner on a 1503 hightide, it would run 45 with just me in it.

i have a bugbuster with a 40 yammy, bored out exaust, exaust tuner, reeds, 15p prop, runs upper 40s-50.

so if i did a carb upgrade how big would you suggest, i was thinking about running a 18p chopper prop, about how fast will i be running then?

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    I had a 40 with , 70 carbs, power reeds, and a 50 exhaust tuner on a 1503 hightide, it would run 45 with just me in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tide Dude View Post
    i have a bugbuster with a 40 yammy, bored out exaust, exaust tuner, reeds, 15p prop, runs upper 40s-50.
    I have been hearing about these super fast high tides for years. I have owned several and have never gotten one of the fast ones. maybe the next one?

Dexter GETS IT!

I didnt think 45 was fast?

Quote Originally Posted by DVR View Post
    I have been hearing about these super fast high tides for years. I have owned several and have never gotten one of the fast ones. maybe the next one?

what kind of high tide did you have? and what upgrades where your running?

Quote Originally Posted by DVR View Post
    High tide dudes boat also runs 10-11 mph faster in creeks than in the river or a lake.
    Your riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels.