Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shame on Ducks Unlimited

Default Shame on Ducks Unlimited

This Carbon Cap bill is the biggest load of shit to ever come through Congress and that is saying something. Ducks Unlimited should not have supported it in any way shape or form. Anything for a buck, eh DU?

Conserving waterfowl and wetlands amid climate change

House of Representatives passes climate bill with waterfowl benefits

A report produced by Ducks Unlimited's science staff in 2007 outlined potential impacts of climate change on the North American waterfowl resource. The impacts are serious and range from the disappearance of coastal habitats in all four flyways to changing the water patterns on the breeding grounds of North America. On Friday night, the House of Representatives passed legislation that would in part mitigate the effects of climate warming. Provisions suggested by Ducks Unlimited and a group of other sportsmen's conservation organizations were included to make waterfowl's future brighter should the provisions be enacted into law. The legislation creates a framework for reducing greenhouses gases. Most importantly from Ducks Unlimited's perspective, it will assist with the protection and restoration of fish and wildlife species, habitats, ecosystems and ecological processes threatened by climate change.
    This legislation is important in several ways. It funds several programs crucial to the conservation of America's waterfowl including the North American Wetlands Conservation Act, the Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Fund and the Land and Water Conservation Fund. Also, numerous offset projects were included in the legislation that will have substantial conservation value to waterfowl and other wildlife and provide financial support to farmers and other rural landowners. Private landowners will be eligible to receive incentive payments for carbon-reducing land-use practices such as peatland and wetland management, conservation of grassland and forested land and afforestation and reforestation projects.
    DU appreciates the inclusion of offset projects essential for waterfowl and other wildlife and funding for natural resources adaptation in this legislation. We look forward to working with members of the Senate and House as well as the administration as this process moves forward.

Background on climate change

The impacts of global climate change have received wide media attention in recent years. Scientists predict that climate change will affect almost every aspect of our environment, including North America's wetlands and waterfowl. It is widely accepted by the scientific community that the earth, which has always experienced climate variation, is now undergoing a period of rapid climate change that is enhanced by human-caused atmospheric carbon enrichment during the past 100 years. Projections for the next 100 years indicate extensive warming in many areas, changing patterns of precipitation, accelerating sea level rise, changes in the timing and length of the seasons, declining snow packs and increasing frequency and intensity of severe weather events. Ducks Unlimited will need to plan for the effects of climate change if wetland and waterfowl management objectives are to be achieved and support policy efforts that enhance the resiliency and sustainability of wildlife and their habitats to climate change. The potential consequences of climate change are significant, and we are taking steps to keep informed and incorporate climate change into our conservation planning. To learn more, click here to read Conserving Waterfowl and Wetlands Amid Climate Change.

I have never given them a dime as I don't duck hunt, but if I had been giving them money, it would have stopped as soon as I found out they were supporting this crap. We may not have enough numbers to vote out some of these idiots, but if we start voting with our wallets, this kind of shit will stop. Stop donating money to any organization with ties to these goons, don't go see the idiots in movies, don't watch television programs that include them, and don't buy from stores/companies that you know support them.

They will no longer get any money from me.

Start with the fact that warming is real. Everyone that thinks about the matter intelligently realizes this, and if you disagree with this, your opinion doesn't count. The question is only: Is it caused by man? Fools cheer everytime there is a snow storm somewhere because they think that this debunks the warming trend. The warming trend is indisputable.

Then move on to the fact that many intellectually honest scientists believe that it is indeed caused by man. For every scientist that hopes to get a government grant by supporting the man-made theory, there is another getting $ from some energy supported foundation to say that it is not. The political hype surrounding the question makes it impossible to really know where the weight of scientific opinion lies.

Then, consider the fact that DU scientists understand the fact that the warming trend is affecting waterfowl in many adverse ways, from melting permafrost in the far northern breeding grounds to rapid coastal erosion around Hudson's Bay caused by loss of ice earlier in the winter storm season. DU believes that warming is a key factor in the switch of scaup from one of our most abundant ducks to one that is in serious trouble. DU scientists believe that warming is probably at least exarcebated by man's activities. It is for this reason that DU supports efforts to combat global warming.

They may be wrong, but I can't see where they are whoring for a buck. If you want to throw them under the bus because they take a stance that conflicts with your precious ideology, go ahead. DU has done plenty for waterfowl and duck hunters. There are vast areas of impoundments in Canada protected by DU that are open to hunters. DU dollars rebuilt the ruined dikes at Santee Coastal Reserve after Hugo, and purchased Springfield/The Cut for the duckhunters of SC.

Anybody that wants to be a purist, don't apply for any draw hunts in SC. They are supported by DU dollars, and DU supported Cap and Trade.

Sounds like a C Y A to explain short stopping. Who's running DU now, Al Gore?

I believe this thing is gonna backfire on them.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    combat global warming.
    :commie:

I never said DU has not done good things for hunters, but this "climate change" bill is going to be the single greatest tax placed on America. For supporting this crap, I cannot forgive them. The "science" behind the bill is faulty. You admitted that there are conflicting views on the cause of warming. The last news I saw on the subject said that we were actually in an 11 year cooling trend, so there is even disagreement on whether we are actually warming. That is why they have changed terminology from "global warming" to "climate change". You can call it what you want, but it is like chicken shit. You can add salt and pepper and mayo, and grind the hell out of it, but it still ain't chicken salad. The government is even trying to suppress their own EPA reports. Any organization that goes along with this crap has lost it with me.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 07-02-2009 at 07:38 AM.

To think that man has the ability to completely alter an the climate of the earth is giving ourselves too much credit. Scientists who support the theory of man-made global warming do so simply because it is the popular line of thinking and the one with the most funding currently. Global warming is not indisputable as GMAC seems to think, and not agreeing with this trend does not discount my opinion. What has been proven and is undisputable is changes in the climate throughout the history of the planet. During the last Ice Age, there were glaciers as far south as Kentucky. What did man do to cause the change in the climate that cause the melting of the ice then? The earth has gone through numerous changes with or without man and has survived.
    Last edited by duckduckdog; 07-02-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Wasn't the fear in the 1970s global cooling?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

yeah, but don't dispute the warming theory - GMAC will make you not count....
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I did not "admit" that there are conflicting views on the cause of global warming. I pointed it out. Read my post. I am not arguing in support of the man-made theory. I am explaining DU's perspective and suggesting that its easy to make bombastic declarations of principal, but things are rarely that cut and dried. (as in "lets don't give them another dime" because of some position they have taken that you don't agree with).

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    yeah, but don't dispute the warming theory - GMAC will make you not count....

south carolina wildlife is in the same category with me
    I put them there when I got a letter from them, asking me to support the lieberman-warner act
    I wrote them and told them to take me off their mailing list
    James 4:14

I've read your post - you said "Start with the fact that warming is real. Everyone that thinks about the matter intelligently realizes this, and if you disagree with this, your opinion doesn't count." Are you talking about warming since January, because I agree with you, it is warmer than it was in January.... Hot actually. I do not however, buy into the global warming line of thinking either man-made or otherwise, because I have not seen indisputable evidence of anything other than the historical climatic changes that the earth has ALWAYS experienced.
    Last edited by duckduckdog; 07-02-2009 at 08:19 AM.

I do not make a "bombastic declaration of principal" lightly. Do you realize this will be the single greatest tax ever placed on America? ....and for what reasons other than for the political and financial gain of certain groups and individuals.

You can fool some of the people...

who knew DU was fulla shit? hmmmm??? ....I wonder?

oh yeah, ME. I been saying this crooked fuckers reek bullshit well... forever.
    They take in a SHIT LOAD of money (revenue in their eyes) and do very little with what they have.

Fuck EM... they are as crooked as the day is long, this is proof
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 07-02-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

EXCUSE THE CAPS. IM NOT YELLING. JUST WANTED IT TO BE EASIER TO READ.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Start with the fact that warming is real.
    DEFINE WARMING?
    Everyone that thinks about the matter intelligently realizes this,
    ONE OF THE DUMBER THINGS I'VE READ ON THIS SITE.
    and if you disagree with this, your opinion doesn't count.
    UNTIL I READ THIS.
    The question is only: Is it caused by man?
    AGAIN DEFINE YOUR PARAMETERS. IT IS CYCLICAL.
    Fools cheer everytime there is a snow storm somewhere because they think that this debunks the warming trend.
    FOOLS WHO HAVE IMBIBED THE GLOBAL WARMING KOOLAID DO THE SAME THING REGARDING TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION AND OBAMAS ELECTION AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY WANT TO
    The warming trend is indisputable.
    AGAIN WARMING TREND IS A VAGUE AND BROAD GENERALIZATION. WONT HOLD UP IN COURT THERE COUNSELOR.

Then move on to the fact that many intellectually honest scientists believe that it is indeed caused by man.
    YOU ARE EITHER A MIND READER OR YOU ARE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS FAVORABLE TO YOUR OPINION.
    For every scientist that hopes to get a government grant by supporting the man-made theory, there is another getting $ from some energy supported foundation to say that it is not.
    VERY GOOD POINT
    The political hype surrounding the question makes it impossible to really know where the weight of scientific opinion lies.
    POSSIBLY. UNLESS YOU CONSIDER THE MOTIVES OF THE PERSON EXPRESSING THE OPINION. IT IS PC TO UNQUESTIONABLY BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING.

Then, consider the fact that DU scientists understand the fact that the warming trend is affecting waterfowl in many adverse ways, from melting permafrost in the far northern breeding grounds to rapid coastal erosion around Hudson's Bay caused by loss of ice earlier in the winter storm season.
    THE WARMER IT IS, GENERALLY THE WETTER...BETTER FOR THE POTHOLE REGIONS IN CANADA AND NORTH AMERICA.

DU believes that warming is a key factor in the switch of scaup from one of our most abundant ducks to one that is in serious trouble. DU scientists believe that warming is probably at least exarcebated by man's activities. It is for this reason that DU supports efforts to combat global warming.
    IS THIS YOUR OPINION OR DID YOU READ IT SOMEWHERE.

They may be wrong, but I can't see where they are whoring for a buck.
    DU IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND PC PUBLICITY. THERE OPINION RARELY VARIES FROM PUBLIC OPINION REGARDLESS OF FACTS.
    If you want to throw them under the bus because they take a stance that conflicts with your precious ideology, go ahead.
    ANOTHER GOOD POINT
    DU has done plenty for waterfowl and duck hunters. There are vast areas of impoundments in Canada protected by DU that are open to hunters. DU dollars rebuilt the ruined dikes at Santee Coastal Reserve after Hugo, and purchased Springfield/The Cut for the duckhunters of SC.
    THEY PURCHASED SPRINGFIELD AND THE CUT FOR THE STATE OF SC. YOU CAN APPLY AND MAYBE GET DRAWN EVERY OTHER YEAR AND THERE ARE NOT THAT MANY HUNTS.

Anybody that wants to be a purist, don't apply for any draw hunts in SC. They are supported by DU dollars, and DU supported Cap and Trade.
    IF YOUR OVERALL POINT WAS TO CONDEMN KNEE JERK REACTIONS, I AGREE. BUT TO START YOUR DIATRIBE BY DECLARING YOUR OPINION AS TRUTH AND DISCOUNTING OTHERS IS OSTENSIBLY DOING THE SAME THING YOU ARE RIGHTLY CONDEMNING.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

what about global cooling in the 70's... post a bunch of useless bullshit on that too why don't cha?

hell its supposed to be in the 80's all next week in Greenville... IN FUCKING JULY

... the ice age is upon us
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    They take in a SHIT LOAD of money (revenue in their eyes) and do very little with what they have.
    While I can't agree with that statement after all the habitat inside and outside of South Carolina that has been protected with DU dollars, it really would be refreshing to see Ducks Unlimited working on the problem of nesting success. It is a huge problem and with DU soaking up 99% of every dollar that is donated to waterfowl conservation, duck numbers continue to suffer. DU's willingness to simply rely on the peaks and valleys of spring runoff has proven to be painful to those of us who like a fat sack of mallards at the end of a hunt.