Thread: "started dogs"

Default "started dogs"

I am entertaining the idea of buying a "started lab". I have always raised my labs from the puppy stage but I am thinking about trying to get one that is a year or two old with hunting experience. I have a baby on the way this Fall and think a baby and puppy will be to much to handle.

How much should I expect to pay for a "started dog" from a good blood line? Typically,what level should a "started dog" be at in the field?

Any information would be appreciated..pros..cons..etc.

Costa had one for sale a while back. He may still have him or be able to give you the down low on what to look for.

Default Sarted Dogs

Gun-Train retrievers in McCall has five started and finished dogs. You can contact Steve Smith at 843-523-0386 or visit www.guntrain.com
    k.west

Depending on your definition of "started", you could pay between $1500-2500.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Generally.... 1 year old, force fetched (delievering to hand), doing hard singles, approx. $1500. 2-3 years old, 3 handed casting, doubles and triples, depending on their level of training approx. $2500-$3500.

Now, if you have time, be patient and every now and again their will be a field trial "wash out" come up. I know people don't like the term "wash out" but I promise they'll do more than you ever will probably need. I've seen them as low as $2000 in the past.

The other great part of it is you get to see exactly what you're buying, no pig's in a poke. If you don't know a whole lot about dogs take a buddy with you that does. That way you can find any holes (if there is any).

Good luck,

Thanks guys for the feedback. My last lab came from Woody Thurmon in NC. He is one of the best retreivers I have had but he is very high strung (even at 7 years old). He has been living with my Dad for two years and I don't think I am going to get him back. My Dad loves that dog.

I am looking for a started lab that delivers to hand, marks well, has a good nose, is steady. Also want a dog with a calm temperment around the house that would be good with kids. The more this dog can do the better but I am not planning on running him in any hunt tests or anything like that. I do a lot of dove and duck hunting and would like another lab to hunt with next year.

If anybody hears of a good dog ...please let me know. Gun train had some good looking dogs but not sure if they are in my budget. Also saw one at Beaver Creek Kennels but they wanted $3,000.

Again, Thanks for the feedback and keep any information yall have coming.

Default Started Dog

How much money have you budgeted for a started dog?

Trainers get about $500.00 or more a month for training them. If you pay, say $500.00 to $600.00, on the low end and put vet expenses and feed into the dog, its not hard to put $3,000.00 into a dog.

Lets say you want a nine to 10 month old dog because the pup must be solid on obediance, force fetched, collar conditioned and be steady to wing and shot, be able to retrieve two birds on land and water and deliver the bird to hand. If it is coming along as it should be it will be doing these things at this age though the paint will still be wet so to speak.

Lets say its purchase price was $700.00. At this price point you get minimal health clearances but probably sufficient for your needs, especially if you are not going to breed it. Have you thought about the pup's health clearances, best you do that if you are going to chunk out $3,000. What kind of warranty do you get with pup?

Pup is raised by the trainer for its entire nine months with training beginning at the second month or eight weeks.

Training formally from the 5th month though the 9th or 10th month4=2500.00 plus cost of pup in the beginning plus food, plus vet visits.

Looks like a decent deal to me and if the dog had a decent pedigree of ancestors I would charge more than $3,000.

Be leary of "WASHOUTS" even for no more than you are looking for. Best you take the "wash out" to some other property and not the same grounds its familiar with to get an idea of what kind of training and temperament the dog has. They will all do good on the home court.

Call Woody and ask him what he has available and at what price.
    Last edited by Wingmaster01; 06-21-2009 at 03:40 PM.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...splay.php?f=34

Keep an eye on this forum. On any given day there will be exactly what you are looking for. There's plenty listed on there now. Don't hesitate on getting something from out of state. It only costs 350 bucks to get one flown in. Get a dog with a good pedigree that was socialized well. And ask for a health guarantee. You should have no problem getting what you want delivered to you for 1000-2500$

Mike Walker has a 2yr old listed on there for 800 bucks thats got a good pedigree, force fetched, and collar conditioned. Most people on there are honest and are going to be very straight forward. If you find something and would like me to research it for you just let me know.
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 06-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Mike Walker has a 2yr old listed on there for 800 bucks thats got a good pedigree, force fetched, and collar conditioned. Most people on there are honest and are going to be very straight forward. If you find something and would like me to research it for you just let me know.[/QUOTE]

[B]Is he going through a divorce or something, somebody die, is this a three legged dog?

Nobody sells a good dog with all that in it at that price. Since you are new to this, my advise to you is Never buy an older dog without seeing it yourself, first checking its pedigree and health clearances and having an unbiased appraisal done on it.

Also, get someone like Woody to help you, a veteran dog man with credentials like Woody!
    Last edited by Wingmaster01; 06-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Wingmaster- I personally know Mike, and I wouldnt give bad advice about something like this. You can get great dogs at great prices if you find the right seller. Not everyone is doing it for the dollar.
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 06-21-2009 at 06:04 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Thanks for the advice guys! I understand that $3,000 is not really that bad of a price for what kind of dog you are getting, it is just not in my budget at this time. With a kid on the way and other expenses, I was looking to stay around $1,500. I am in the really early stages of looking and I really appreciate yall's help. If I find one Costa, I may take you up on your offer..to help do a little research.

Default Started Dogs

By all means, enjoy the journey! Hopefully It will be for 12 to 15 years.

By the way, I was just giving you realistic numbers. I have no vested interest in any trainers or breeders at this time and I don't have any dogs to sell.

Just trying to give you a few years of knowledge on the subject of retrievers. My first dogs were two beagles given to me in 1962 by my dad. My first bird dog was given to me by my uncle back around 1965, a German Shorthair. My brother and I used to hunt the Shorthair and the beagles together and would bring home a sack of rabbits and quail with them almost everytime we went hunting.

My first Labrador Retriever cost me $250.00. Bought her out of the paper, not a gun dog or field trial title in four generations. Did have a couple of bench titles though, that was in 1986. She turned into a great dog thanks to NAHRA and Richard Wolters. I earned a WR title and an invitation to a NAHRA Regional with Sandy. Sandy and I hunted together until she was injured and I bought my two other wonderful dogs, Yukon and April. They are both gone now as well. All of them were gifts from God and I enjoyed them until they took their last breathe and I was there each time and that will cause you to cry.

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Wolters at a NAHRA National in Georgia around 1987 as I recall. Wolters was also a pilot and glider pilot and wrote a book called he "Joy of Soaring." That book, like his books on Gundog, Waterdog etc. was used as primary reading back in the early 70's for folks wanting to earn a glider rating. We had a good conversation about flying as well as dogs back then and I respected him greatly.
    If memory serves me, he was killed in an ultralight crash.

If you think you can get a dog that cheap and you are comfortable with it then by all means do so. Just remember that breeders and trainers have mortgage payments and car payments to make as well. To Quote my Boss, whenever I needed a lower price for what we sold his response was, " Well Steve, I already know how to go broke".
    Last edited by Wingmaster01; 06-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Wingmaster, Thanks for your help! Sounds like you have many years of knowledge in the retriever world. I agree with you.."you usually get what you pay for". I might end up waiting a few months and just not tell my wife how much I spent. Will see how that goes?? ha..ha..