Thread: Newbie Rod/Reel

Default Newbie Rod/Reel

Looking to try some fly fishing on our annual trip to the New RIver for smallies. What do ya'll recommend for a rod/reel? Local Greenville shop suggested a Greys GRXI rod/reel, but I can't seem to find many reviews on them. They are mfg by Hardy.

Also looking at TFO TICR, St Croix Reign rods and Lamson Radius or Velocity reels (closeouts from 2008).

Would like a set-up that will handle specks and reds as well. Thinking about a 7/8wt.

ANy suggestions for a beginner?

Temple Fork is good for a beginner. Okuma makes some good, moderately priced reels. Any of those you mentioned will be fine. Fly fishing gear prices are ridiculous.

Don't need the most expensive stuff on the market, but prefer moderatley priced equipment that I will not outgrow in a year.

Which of these rods is the best bang for the buck....TFO XiCr, St Croix Avid, Sage Launch

Not sure. Sage has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. That's something to consider. As far as outgrowing the equipment goes, unless you cave in to marketing, this rod should always "fit". You can use it as your spare, or to teach a lady how to catch a fish with. That second part is a pro tip, son.

i use a piece-of-shit $30 shakespeare and the fish dont seem to know I'm not casting at them with really expensive gear.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for the pro tip....if I teach my wife to fish/hunt I would never have a peaceful moment in my life.

See your point 2th.

bass pro has plenty of combos for under 150.00.

If you are lookin for an all around set up i would recommend a 6wt 9ft with 7wt wf floating line.
    its meaty enough to throw big flies to spottails and trout and also sensitive enough to feel bream........real bream that is.

good luck.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

BOG

How many times have u been around the world? Is there really a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Could you please draft a strategic economic game plan and send it to washington. I mean you have to be the baddest motherfucker east of the Mississippi, arguably the world!
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

Birddog, not to hijack your thread, but what part of the New are you headed to? We were up around Ft. Chiswell VA near the shot tower last weekend. Water was dingy with all the rain and up a little. Managed to catch 16 smallies and a red eye, guy we went with caught a walleye.

CU - We are headed to Perisburg/Pembroke up near Blacksburg. Our 1st trip to this part of the New.

Looking for a decent place to stay if anyone has any recommendations for that area.
    Last edited by BirdDog; 06-20-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: sp

We normally fish up near blacksburg but we always camp in ft. chiswell. Theres good fishing up that way. Lots of red eyes up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i use a piece-of-shit $30 shakespeare and the fish dont seem to know I'm not casting at them with really expensive gear.
    bought a shakespeare from wal-mart a few years back for $15. Bought it just to mess around, ended up getting hooked, caught god knows how many bream, and crackers on that sucker, lost it recently in a truck accident, just bought a new ww grigg co. gx rod for about $90 from sportsman warehouse, was able to save the cheap shakespeare reel. love the rod!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by romeocadet08 View Post
    BOG

How many times have u been around the world? Is there really a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Could you please draft a strategic economic game plan and send it to washington. I mean you have to be the baddest motherfucker east of the Mississippi, arguably the world!
    Fly fishing in general is very simple.

That's what makes it more fun, he gave good advice, what are you pissed off about?

Graduating from the Citadel and not having a job?

I ended up with a St Croix Legend Ultra 8 wt and a Ross Momentum reel.

Thanks for all of the help

Bird, the St Croix was an excellent choice...I've got two. Their customer service ain't too shabby either, although you do have to ask for a knowledgeable person, cuz the lady who answers is retarded.
    I might be allergic, but I'll try it anyway.