Thread: maximum capacity???

Default maximum capacity???

guys was just wondering if anyone knew the exact laws on a boats maximum capacity.......is it legal to seat 3 people in a 2 man jon boat, or 4 or five in a boat rated for 3 people. have put 3 people in the 2 man forever no ones ever said anything, but someone ask me about it the other day and i couldnt give them an answer, thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

found sc laws that say there was no restrictions as long as it was with in federal law. so any help with that would be appreciated.

idk i do it all the time. but if its like kids or small people your probably good

You answer is in 33 CFR
    Here is the link
    http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/183-persons-...boats-19763713

That is the Federal Law. The practical answer is what you feel safe doing. The ABYC has its own set of rules that is much more strict for insurance purposes. Bottom line, use your common sense and make sure you have enough life jackets for everyone. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-29-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

If you have a capacity sticker it should say "# of persons or ---lbs, not to exceed ---lbs persons, motor, gear. This means there are a lot of varibels that can go into the factor. The sticker capacities are calculated through a Coast Guard formula based on specific measurements of the hull. I used to have to do this at work when ever we would come out with a new model. Today, regardless of this formula outcome, the Coast Guard will only rate the capacity to number of actual seating areas with grabholds available.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

thanks MG and coastal