Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good to See............

Bring back the mule and you'll bring back the quail.

Very scarce around here too!

Count his toes Nice shot

My Uncle used to manage for quail. Left hedgerows uncut, no-till planting, aggressively fought fire ants, etc...

Started getting a healthy population of wild birds.

One year, while sitting a deer stand in on the edge of a bean field, I couldnt hear myself think for all the birds talking. He, (my uncle passed), much of the farm was leased...and/or neighbors/kin did the harvesting.

The beans were cut to the dirt, and I heard virtually zilch birds and the amount of predators in the air and on the dirt was overwhelming.

We have two covies now that I know of on close to 1800 acres.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

Nitro,
    Candor and some boys from the Newberry chapter of Quail Unlimited go to some place in Texas about every year to hunt them. It's either in South Texas or West Texas, he could provide you with the info. He told me it was nothing to find 20-30 coveys before lunch on a morning hunt. They try to go on years when the weather pattern earlier meant a good hatch.
    That should be proof enough that coyotes aren't the problem. People and their practices are the problem.

my granddad would still be alive today if there were quail....but once the quail started to go, so did he. he died at age 98.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.