Thread: Random Egrets and Herons

Default Random Egrets and Herons

Just a few shot I got this weekend while out enjoying the Holiday.

Looks good. Not that i know anything about photography, but why did you cut off the feet and tail in some of the photos?

I really like the 1st and the 3rd one...............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Looks good. Not that i know anything about photography, but why did you cut off the feet and tail in some of the photos?

Because I suck! I wasn't paying attention and botched them up.

Be mindful how you compose the shots and try not to cut off parts of the birds. There is a time and place for that but not here. You are definitely on the right track here though and I can see an improvement in your results. You are getting really good background separation. Watch it on those white birds you are a bit hot, especially on that first one. Keep at it Jae you're doing well!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by squatty420 View Post
    . Watch it on those white birds you are a bit hot, especially on that first one.

Explain Hot................seriously I'm an idiot when it comes to the photo lingo but I think I get it but still unsure.............if you want you can link me to an explanation.............
    Last edited by ccleroy; 05-26-2009 at 11:28 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

It's when you blow out the whites and lose the detail. Like for example in that first shot on the birds back the detail in the feathers is gone. Hot is just a term really. Blown Out would be another way of putting it. When shooting subjects that are white this is where you need to know how to use Exposure Compensation

Does that make sense and/or help?

It's when you blow out the whites and lose the detail. Like for example in that first shot on the birds back the detail in the feathers is gone. Hot is just a term really. Blown Out would be another way of putting it. When shooting subjects that are white this is where you need to know how to use Exposure Compensation

Does that make sense and/or help?
    Yes that helps..........now back to my manual..............lol............

Exp. Comp. works very well when shooting in AV (aperture priority) with controlling your whites. Depending on the time of day and/or the harshness of the light you will want to - Exp. Compensate by a 1/3, 2/3, or more depending on the situation. When you make this move in AV you are helping to adjust your shutter speed.

It you made the same move with Exp. Comp. when shooting in TV (shutter priority) your are adjusting your Aperture.

Now I know I've probably just blown your mind! But truthfully it's quite simple. I hope this helps in whatever way.

One last little thing.......

it's better to be underexposed that to overexpose. It's much easier to recover from being underexposed than overexposed if you are shooting in RAW. This is where, how is it termed........ Photochopping , comes into the equation. But technically you don't even do this in Photoshop!
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 05-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Now I know I've probably just blown your mind! But truthfully it's quite simple. I hope this helps in whatever way.
    I agree it will be quite simple after I take a several thousand more pictures playing/learning the different setting's and making this cam a 3rd appendage to my body........it will come to me with patience and persistence.........

Just don't only shoot the beards off!

Thanks too all!

Squatty I was working on the exposure comp, but just didn't get it quite right! I had several that could have been a lot better!! Eventually I'll get it all wrapped up and be on top of what the heck I need to do when!!

1,3,5, excellent

Great shots, duk. You're definitely getting the hang of it and it is paying off. Keep at it
    Richard