Thread: Hog Trap Help

Default Hog Trap Help

Got started on it...

Fence with T-post's . Will that hold em?

And anyone know how to make a trap door?

"Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

Dave, how deep are the t-posts? If they are deep enough they might be ok. I have seen hogs mess up a trap made w/ 4 x 4's and escape. You will also need some type of top as they will jump, ram and climb on each other and escape.

As for the door, if you made it w/ wood you could make it where it swings down from inside the trap as closes so that hogs can push it open from the inside but can't open it once they are inside. To set it off tie a rope to a stake and drive the stake in the ground in the back of the pen. Pour corn around the edges of the trap around to the back where the stake is, pour a lot of corn around the stake and as they root up around the stake they will drop the door and others can still come in. Bait the trap for about a week with the door locked open so that they get used to it, then set it.
    Hope this helps.

no offense, that aint gonna hold shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

I don't think that will last very long once a few pissed off hogs get in it.

aint gonna hold bud, you gotta thing, when the hogs get in there they are gonna be running as hard as they can into the side to get out.

On ours we used 6" poles eight feet long and wrapped the wire fencing around it twice, we made the one way door out of wood like Duckman described.

good luck!

I will agree with the crowd, that has broken trap written all over it. my buddy is a contractor and buitl one out of 12' 4X4's and welded cattle panels and it barely held the BIG boar & sow when I last ran it with him. matter of fact the boar broke a welded panel before he was encouraged to calm down with a .357 to the head. the door on his trap was 3/4" marine plywood set like a guiloteen in a channel with a 4X4 on the outside and 2X4 on the inside. he hd that door weighted to slam hard when the trigger was tripped.
    build it sturdy and be careful when you have one trapped, they will be PISSED!

SCTIMBER Coots

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    I will agree with the crowd, that has broken trap written all over it. my buddy is a contractor and buitl one out of 12' 4X4's and welded cattle panels and it barely held the BIG boar & sow when I last ran it with him. matter of fact the boar broke a welded panel before he was encouraged to calm down with a .357 to the head. the door on his trap was 3/4" marine plywood set like a guiloteen in a channel with a 4X4 on the outside and 2X4 on the inside. he hd that door weighted to slam hard when the trigger was tripped.
    build it sturdy and be careful when you have one trapped, they will be PISSED!
    same kind I have seen built. You will need something similar to cattle panels. Rig the door where it will fall like a guiloteene. If I remember right place the food in the far end on some kind of a pressure plate to trigger the door to fall.

It has been a while since I have seen one but I'll take pics next time.

Yea, that might would hold piglets but a pissed off wild hog would destroy that in less than a minute. My roommates uncle traps hogs for a living and his traps are about twelve feet long by about four feet tall by about six feet deep shaped in a rectangle. They are made of straight steel and rebar sticks through the side of the traps in the ground to keep the hogs from turning it over when they get caught. It has a dangling piece that hangs in the back by the bait and when they knock it the door in the front releases and falls down clogging the doorway the hogs enter in.

better think tougher Dave. I will see if I still have some drawings for hog traps and port them. we used to have like kingstree was describing however we had a weighted door that would only swing in. It worked well.
    cut\'em

http://www.wilcoxwebworks.com/hs/hog...ailedplans.htm try going there and see if you can make something from that

Not going to hold partner. T post and that small wire will just piss them off more. Try again.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Make it out of hog panels and rebar welded together.And make sure you stake it down. But for the easy way out go to Agri Supply and get a big dog trap.This will catch'em.Theres not enough room for them to tear it up to bad.

Ive got some work to do.
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd