Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chili for 200+ people. HELP!

If you still go with chili my advice is to brown the meat in frying pans and then add to the turkey frying pot along with your other ingredients. Use the turkey frying pots for simmering only. It’s very hard to stir and brown more than 10 lbs of meet in the bottom of a turkey frying pan and near impossible to get the fat/grease out and you also stand a chance of scorching the meat. Yep…that’s right, I learned the lesson above the hard way…
    HRCH UH Buckeye's Kickin it Up a Notch (T-Boy)
    HR Bigez's Passin a Good Time (Boudreaux)

where'd you fellas go to school?
    200 X 20%
    20% = 1/5
    200 DIVIDED BY1/5 = 40
    200 - 40 = 160
    -------------------------------------
    100% - 20% = 80%
    200 X 80% = 160

IF YOU GO BY THAT 20% FIGURE, YOU CAN STATE IT ONE OF TWO WAYS
    80% OF INVITED WILL SHOW OR 20% OF INVITED WON'T SHOW

hmnn maybe all that Bacon I eat ain't clogged my brain yet !!

now for serious stuff
    my thoughts:
    get ready made hamburger paddies from Sam's, while there get hamburger bun or go by the day old bread store.
    While at Sam's get the mayo and mustard jugs with the dispensers or the picnic packs.
    Potato Salad made ahead and chilled or potato chips
    Chilled Pork and beans, just put the big cans in a cooler full of ice
    Soft drinks or Country Time Lemonade
    You could have sliced onions too.
    just my thoughts pay them no attention
    Bill
    Last edited by BullCook; 04-30-2009 at 09:06 AM.

I appreciate the help guys. It seems that I will be playing this game, leading one of the teams instead of cooking unfortunately. However, my mom may take over my cooking duties so I'll pass all the info along to her.

The dude said he wanted to serve chili, so I was gonna serve chili. He's the bossman and he's got the money.

Big thanks to Fish for helping to make this site better.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

FG did you get the PM i sent you

Fish,

Since you seem to know everything and are the master please reply to the above math lesson that was provided. What are you thinking? Foie was off a little but you are clueless. I do not post much and read alot and you sir have not added alot that makes me think man this guy is really smart!!! Please before you post from now on and slam someone else, atleast reread the post and see if it makes sense. That would contribute to making this site a little better!! That is all!!!!!

TH
    Last edited by Tmbrhntr; 04-30-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Don't cook chili in May. That is a bad choice. I use to run a paintball field and the last thing you want to eat is something hot and something that will run right on out of you when your tired and hot from playing. Hotdogs or something on that line will be a lot better.

If they are going to eat first then chili is even a bigger no no. I can promise you that if the runs don't get them the heartburn will. Bring lots of Gatorade.

oh, ease off Fish, he's still learning !!
    Learning what I don't know! He still hasn't figured out fring with Bacon grease either.

if the guy wants chilli. let him do it. As you have been told it's a nono and the only thing folks will talk about is your sorry food.
    Getting menus and suggestion is great, but in the end only the cook will be responsible !!!!!!!!!

Tmbrhntr, Fish's math is right as is Bull's.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    are you sure about Fish?
    looks to me like he is off
    Looks to me like all his math is doing is telling what per cent of 200 is 180
    not what 20 per cent of 200 is
    I still cook with Bacon Grease !!

Well, if someone can't get to the number from what Fish posted, then they are one of the folks he is talking about.

Well, if someone can't get to the number from what Fish posted, then they are one of the folks he is talking about.
    ok if you say so but .........

The math that fish does comes up with the fact that 180 is 90% of 200 it does not have anything to do with what 20% of 200 is. It is a great example he provided if we were trying to figure that out. Let me put it this way to simplify things for you. It would be like me wanting to know how 2+2 adds up to and you providing what 2-3 equals. Not the same number nor what I am looking for. Thanks for your support of Fish though he needs all he can get!!!! Bull I swear these guys must be University of South Carolina Scholars!!

ever since fish had something to say about my bacon grease...well let's just say that I now his cooking and math skills are very equal.
    Ma said "if ya can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

It's an age thing, not old enough to know and too young to understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    The math that fish does comes up with the fact that 180 is 90% of 200 it does not have anything to do with what 20% of 200 is. It is a great example he provided if we were trying to figure that out. Let me put it this way to simplify things for you. It would be like me wanting to know how 2+2 adds up to and you providing what 2-3 equals. Not the same number nor what I am looking for. Thanks for your support of Fish though he needs all he can get!!!! Bull I swear these guys must be University of South Carolina Scholars!!

Dear lord......you should quit posting while you are ahead.

Good luck with that chili rapshizzle....

To all concerned:

When finding percentages, you take the small number and divide it by the large number. In this case, 180/200. The product of this division is 90. At this point, you take the product (90) and subtract it from 100, which leaves 10 or 10%. There is no ambiguity or room for interpretation. It works every time.

Please understand, I don't care if you get this or not, bacon grease notwithstanding.

And Bull, if you took offense to a comment about bacon grease (one that I don't even remember), you might want to re-think some stuff. If I did say something about bacon grease, it probably had everything to do with the fact that its some pretty bad shit in terms of heart health and nothing at all to do with taste.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down, Bull?

yes sir !!
    but where di 180 come from????\
    that was a number that first showed up in your post if I'm not mistaken,
    the rule of thumb that I and many more use is that over 150 in a group the no shows will be 20%.
    As you will notice the group number of expected folks was 200.
    20% of 200 is not 180 !! Since you can't figure it, I don't care what you putting down.

Now if you want to place nice, I'm for that !!!
    I'll forget the bacon grease if you will.
    Bill

No, Bull.

Let me explain this completely.

1) 180 is part of foie's equation. If you're still in doubt or if in the event foie pulled a Costa and edited his post, you can review what he said in my first post. I quoted him in bold.

2) I couldn't care less about the rules governing how many people will show up for an event.

3) Regarding the math, you're fucking retarded. I wrote the shit out for you. Twice. Go play nice with that.

This conversation has run its course.

Well once again I must come to Bull's defense in this argument. Fish please open your eyes and see what was trying to be figured out!! The question was is what is 20% of 200. This is found by multipying and not dividing( .20 x 200 = 40) then taking the number of potential attendees which was 200 people less 40 (20% of 200) = 160 people!!! Fish again thank you for the math lesson and you are correct that 180 is 90% of 200 but that is really not relevant here!!! By the way; Foie's math was incorrect and that is where 180 came from!! Now go cook something in bacon grease while you try and figure this out!! That is all!!
    Last edited by Tmbrhntr; 05-05-2009 at 01:24 PM.

my your ignorance is showing
    it's just above your pink panty line

did all them nice words make you feel good
    does your momma know you are capable of such language

ever notice the dumber someone is the more four letter words they know